Sh*t on Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 10 Jul 2018

I'm not a mountaineer but like many people I've been vaguely aware of all the rubbish left on Everest for some time.

But a recent report really brought it home. They recently removed 13 tons of poop from the mountain, part of 31 tons total of other rubbish.

This doesn't make me think well of Himalayan climbers. When I go to Stanage it's obvious most climbers are massively respectful of the environment and it's rare to see even a single bit of litter despite hundreds of visits every week. But of course I also understand just how desperate conditions are on a high peak like Everest.

So my question is are the fierce conditions of the mountain an acceptable excuse to cause so much pollution or should climbers take more responsibility for their waste?

The report from Gripped.com:

https://gripped.com/news/13000-kilos-poop-carried-off-everest/

mcawle 10 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

It's an industry, isn't it? Not great, at all. But I don't think a surprise at this point.

Webster 10 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

people should absolutely clean up after themselves rubbish wise, if you can carry it up you can carry it down... as for the shit, where do you expect it is going to go? i expect that stated volume is from portaloo type things at basecamp. in which case i would say that it is great that they are using those and not just shitting in holes (which would fill up in a matter of days and you very quickly get to the point where you are digging up someone elses loo when you dig a new hole). once on the mountain there isnt really much you can do about it, people shit, its a fact of life

In reply to Webster:

> people should absolutely clean up after themselves rubbish wise, if you can carry it up you can carry it down... as for the shit, where do you expect it is going to go?

Well, you've answered your own question; since it's been carried up, it should be carried down.

Since things aren't going to change, perhaps the answer is to make those paying to ascend pay an inevitably hefty cleanup surcharge. 

Mountains are a natural resource for the economy of Nepal to exploit. I sense that we're getting to a tipping point where the government of Nepal will realise that if they want Everest to continue to be the goose that lays the golden tourist eggs then those tourists are going to have to pay extra so that their brown tourist logs can be adequately disposed of.

Or maybe I'm behind the times and this is already in play, or in operation. Whichever, the still noteworthy and aspirational goal of climbing to the highest peak on Earth could soon be considered less so if the journey becomes a breathless ascent of an open latrine.

T.

Getoiu 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

They are being surcharged about 4k usd if they don't bring their own rubbish down. On top of that 10k and up for visa that is said to fund the maintenance of the mountain. On top of that they pay dearly for porter services and even tip 15% for that service. How much more should the climbers pay? I'm definitely not saying that they shouldn't clean after themselves but I'm sure that most of the people there love the mountain and will try to clean as much as they possibly can. The problem with the poop is still to be resolved.

In reply to Getoiu:

Maybe then the question becomes: how many of them love the mountain enough not to try and climb it?

T.

Goucho 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Getoiu:

If you love something, you treat it with respect and care.

Everest has become a financial commodity.

It's a cash cow to the Nepalise government, and just another tick on the bucket list for most of the people paying to be guided up it.

Aigen 11 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Lets get things into perspective here. The whole of Nepal is a dump. I spent 6 weeks last year trekking in Nepal and was shocked at the amount of rubbish everywhere. All the locals throw their rubbish on the ground. After our trip to Nepal we went to India for a month. I found India to be 50 million times better regarding rubbish dumping. Needless to say I won't be going back to Nepal as the place is a dump.

bensilvestre 13 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

In central alaska range you take a small plastic tub and bio plastic bags which you shit in. Low down you have to fly the bags out, high up you dispose of the bags in designated crevasses. I dont know why this system isnt employed everywhere, including camping below the midi. Works really well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...