lake district biting insects

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam@work 03 Jul 2018

I'm off to the lakes for the weekend and wanted to know what its like for insects ? I'm also considering bivvying up high ? mozzy net or not .....

cheers

Kristof252 03 Jul 2018
In reply to sam@work:

Watch out for the willy-biting jumping spiders. Got a good seeing to last year by one of those bad boys and have the scars to prove it.

Jon Stewart 03 Jul 2018
In reply to sam@work:

I've been up on the high north-facing crags 'til fairly late on and it's been absolutely fine. The only real problems I've had this year have been some mozzy bites on a hot day's walking, and after clambering through the horizontal forest of felled trees for hours and hours at the most notoriously tick-ridden crag in the country, with no repellent or protection, I got covered in ticks. Which was f*cking grim.

pasbury 03 Jul 2018
In reply to sam@work:

The lakes is pretty bloody good for insects, especially the really small bitey ones.

Post edited at 23:08
 Red Rover 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

What crag is that?

slinky wizard 04 Jul 2018
In reply to sam@work: I ‘m based in the Lakes best advice I can give is watch out for ticks really bad at the moment 

dominic lee 04 Jul 2018
In reply to sam@work:

Just been in Keswick / Duddon valley area for a weeks camping / walking. Next to no midges low down.. no problem with ticks either..horse flies were all I noticed. High up there was a good breeze and I thought it would be great for bivis...shame to have to come down off the ridges.

More midges in my garden back in the peak.

Marek 04 Jul 2018
In reply to dominic lee:

Slightly 'off-topic' but similarly - I've just got back from Scotland (Assynt, Skye) and had no problem with midges (even on windless bivis), just some annoying horseflys in Glen Slig.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...