Exped downmat 'slow puncture'....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Forester3 30 Jun 2018

Not an uncommon senario, so hopefully someone has some words of wisdom:

The last time I used my downmat I found it had almost fully deflated overnight. On returning home I duncked it in the bath and, noting a number of tiny pinholes along some of the seams I dabbed some seam sealer on those that I could find. However, after inflating and leaving it overnight I found it had again deflated. I've repeated this a number of times without success so there're obviously more holes than I can find . I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly on here though I can't find a thread) that someone with a similar problem had sorted it through mixing up a solution of (clear) silicon bathroom sealer and (I think) white spirit, then applying it with a paint brush to cover both sides of the defective mat. Has anyone tried this, if so, what was the proportion of sealer to white spirit (I'm presuming 1:1?) and how effective was it?

Just to add, I've had it for a number of years so any warranty period will have expired. It hasn't had a huge amount of use though - probably 40 - 50 nights - and there are no obvious signs of wear.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Forester3:

If you contact Lyon Equipment they should be able to repair it for you for a reasonable fee.

Jenny C 30 Jun 2018
In reply to Forester3:

When pressure testing my drysuit I use a concentrated mix of water and washing up liquid. Try to apply without getting bubbles and when you sit on the mat bubbles should form around the leaks.

Also don't miss checking the valve itself  

Pina 01 Jul 2018
In reply to Forester3:

Have you dunked it again to see if you're still getting bubbles? (Washing up liquid helps if you can't)

I found the patches provided with the mat or a puncture repair kit do a decent job.

Otherwise sending it back to the supplier (Lyon) in the UK is a good shout. Exped aftersales is decent. Unless it's a UL product and the baffle busts just after two years use...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...