Mountain Equipment Lhotse - is it worth the £££?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anonymous123 27 Jun 2018

It's £250 in GoOutdoors... thinking of taking the plunge, but is it worth it?!

mcawle 27 Jun 2018
In reply to anonymous123:

I have one. Not used it heavily but it seems bombproof and really keeps the weather out. Fit works for me very nicely as well. 

Whether you could get something cheaper that would be just as good, or how it compares to e.g. the Alpkit jacket which is cheaper than that at RRP? Not sure. 

I don't think you could go wrong with it anyway.

olddirtydoggy 27 Jun 2018

Depends what kind of ourdoors you're doing. If you're winter climbing or hillwalking on Britains highest peaks in all weather then yes.

John1458 27 Jun 2018

I bought one for £266 three and half years ago, as my first proper jacket. It's now been used for around 4/5 weeks Scottish winter, 4/5 weeks in the Alps, a fair amount of general mountaineering and far too much wear as a work and casual jacket. It's been reproofed twice and it's still as waterproof as when I bought it. The fit is great, hood is big enough to fit a petzl meteor under and the huge pit zips are really useful. 

If I ripped it tomorrow I wouldn't think twice about spending £250 on another one. Whether other simarily priced jackets are just as good I don't know, but I've got no complaints about mine! 

PaulScramble 27 Jun 2018

Of course it's good, it's a top of the range winter hardshell. Jackets at that level are designed and priced for people who know they need it. I would save your money.

Post edited at 23:50
 damowilk 28 Jun 2018

I have a 2 waterproof jacket system: one bomber, double storm flap, durable mountain jacket; and a lighter more regularly used jacket.

The first has been a ME Changabang, now 8-10yrs old, and I would happily buy the same again. Ok, it gets used a bit less as I take it if I’m fairly certain it’s going to be, or might be miserable.

The second jacket varies depending what’s on sale, it tends to only last 2 years, and will be used more often, and for a mix of biking, climbing, walking etc.

I think that having the 2 jackets is probably about the same price overall, give or take, and gives me more options than one jacket that doesn’t quite do it all.

sorry, that probably doesn’t answer the question asked at all, except to say that the quality of ME jackets seems high

Pkrynicki1984 28 Jun 2018

Yes ! I got mine brand new with tags on facebook for £180 and its a fantastic jacket! hard-wearing , very waterproof and the hood is the best i've used.... much prefer it to my ME Shivling jacket.

3 years use so far ....

anonymous123 28 Jun 2018

Bought it; price matched £215 at GoOutdoors!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...