Lake District circular rides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 27 Jun 2018

I'm heading up to the Lake District for a long weekend tomorrow and will be doing some hill walking and some cycling. I fancy doing about 100km on the bike on Sunday starting and finishing at Windemere. Suggestions for routes that avoid Hardknott and Wrynose are most welcome. I'm happy to go up Whinlatter and Honister though! 

plyometrics 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

Windermere, Skelwith Bridge, Grizedale, Haverthwaite, Cartmel, High Newton, Witherslack, Crosthwaite, Staveley (stop for coffee at More bakery), Troutbeck, Kirkstone, down Struggle, Windermere. 

Not quite sure of distance, but it will take you on some nice quiet roads and possibly showcase a part of south lakes you may not have visited. It’s easy to pimp if you want to add or subtract miles too.

FYI, the car ferry is not running currently  

Whatever you decide, have a great ride!

Post edited at 10:19
 Guy Hurst 27 Jun 2018

Stick to walking on the hills, many of which are really quiet even at this time of year. Road cycling in the Lakes in the summer is not that enjoyable; even the quieter roads are too busy for my tastes. Or go mountain biking.

Chris the Tall 27 Jun 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

> FYI, the car ferry is not running currently  

That's a pain, I've used that quite a bit with my bike when up there. This seems the best alternative

https://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/cruises-fares/bike-boat

To the OP:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php or Strava are great for planning routes.

My advice is to the stay south and explore the myriad of small roads around Crossthwaitea and Cartmel, then up along the east coast of Coniston Water and over to Hawkshead, past Esthwaite Water and back to the bottom of Windermere that way. Of the big passes I would recommend Wrynose from Little Langdale - yes it's really tough, but the decent down the other side all the way to Dunnerdale is worth it 

Lord_ash2000 27 Jun 2018

From Windermere head up over Kirkstone via Troutbeck, all the way through Glenridding and then over Matterdale until you just before the A66, turn left and follow minor roads running alongside the A66 until Threkeld. Head down the St. Johns in the vale road passing Castle Rock then take the A591 back to Windermere. 

You can normally ride on the other side of Thirlmere for much of the A591 but that road is currently closed. In total, about 75km but can be extended a fair bit by going over the A66 and looping around Skiddaw past Hestket Newmarket etc and coming out behind Bassenthwaite lake and on to Keswick before heading back south. 

Don't listen to Guy Hurst, he probably never passed his cycling proficiently test. The main A roads can be busy but I've never felt unsafe on them and most of the lanes you can ride for miles without seeing a car, never mind be hassled by them.     

plyometrics 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Yup, ferry not running can be a bit of a pain. 

Your suggestion resonates with mine. I absolutely love the Lyth and Winster valleys, some amazing and super quiet roads there. 

Some pretty cheeky little hills too. Tow Top is a local classic.

l live in kendal and most of my short rides focus around there. I can get out for a couple of hours early doors and see fewer than 10 cars, so not sure I agree with Mr Hurst. 

Post edited at 13:00
 Chris the Tall 27 Jun 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

To be fair to Guy Hurst, I wouldn't be too keen on riding Windermere-Ambleside-Grasmere on a weekend in the summer. You'll certainly see more than 10 cars along there

Gone for good 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Everyone :

Thank you everyone for the response.

I'm going for a pedal on Friday as well but want to get a longer ride in on Sunday. I plan to leave early, about 7, I like the sound of Plyometrics route but admit although Wrynose has a fierce reputation it is certainly one I want to tick off. I will have female company as well and although she is a strong cyclist I don't want to ruin her day by tackling too many hills! Tour de Yorkshire nearly had her in tears!! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...