Winter Boot for Assistant Guiding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 24 Jun 2018

Hi All, 

Looking for a winter boot with the built in gaiter option, similar to Scarpa Phantom's and/or the La Sportiva G5's. 

I have heard negatives to both boots such as the soles wear away quickly and prone to leaking, so I am left wondering what are my other options or can anyone provide more information on each boot?

I will be working as an ice climbing assistant, so a lot of vertical miles and not many horizontal. So I don't think the wearing will be an issue for approaches etc but I would like the boot to built to survive my own trips out. 

Many thanks,

ModerateMatt 24 Jun 2018
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

The Phantoms will have a beefier sole for this winter so that should help on that front. 

tspoon1981 24 Jun 2018

I've recently seen one or two reviews of the G5s that mentioned wetting through. I bought a pair in December and had no issues over winter. Quite recently a friend of mine was interested in buying pair and highlighted the negative reviews and was asking if I'd experienced anything similar. I hadn't, and to test them I put them in a sink full of water for a few minutes (I think one review specifies wetting through after 4 minutes) up to ankle depth, they were still dry inside afterwards. I suspect people have either had sweatier feet than they'd like to admit, waded in water that was deeper than they thought or possibly had snow come over the top (the most unlikely scenario given the gaiter, but it might happen)

Post edited at 21:30
 GarethSL 24 Jun 2018

Where abouts will you be assisting? If it's Europe, Scandinavia or America (I.e. not Scotland) then you could perhaps check out the G2 SM boots from La Sportiva.

They are a double boot and I found them way more supportive than the G5's and far less bendy than the new generation phantoms. If you're only ice climbing then they are perfectly adequate and despite being a bootie boot are not super warm, nor heavy! So far the best boots I've used on pure ice.

Posted about them on an earlier thread with my thoughts on the G5, Arc'teryx boots and the Scarpa Phantoms: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/new_generation_b3_boots_sportiva_sca...

Post edited at 22:07
 Brett 25 Jun 2018

For what its worth, I use the Asolo GPS 520 boots and treat them religiously every few months with Nikwax, which keeps them waterproof and really dry regardless of snow levels. A set of full length gaitors (OR) complete the protection for my feet. These boots are great for winter use and will take any crampon, microspikes, or snowshoes you want to use and can be used in most any winter (or other season) environment you may find. 

If your activities in winter mostly above timberline and/or technical, you probably should look into mountaineering boots for the added protection they offer. Though pricey and are not real comfortable in moderate to easy trail walking, if you do a lot of technical mountaineering you'll be better served by them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...