New style scarpa boots crampon compatibility?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Webster 18 Jun 2018

Hi, what is the consensus on the compatibility of the new style scarpa B3 boots such as the phantom techs and mt blanc pro's with grivel crampons such as G14's? I have noticed that they have a very narrow toe bail compared to older boots, which would leave dead space between the crampons toe bar and the boot at the sides? I have seen a pair of G14s fitted to phantom techs in a shop display, and they appear to be firmly fitted, but surely the gap would be at risk of snagging on things and levering the crampons off the boot? particularly when exposed to good old fashioned scottish winter groveling and stomping!

I am thinking of finally updating my ancient but fantastic scarpa omega's as i currently have a staff discount with my day job but dont want to have to replace my perfectly functional crampons as well... 

climber34neil 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Webster:

Having not used either I'm not speaking from experience , however I think you can change the toe bail for the petzl and black diamond ones which I believe are narrower. Or consider changing the crampons as well , if your going for fancy light boots then would perhaps make sense to use lighter crampons as well?

climber34neil 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Webster:

Just read your post properly re crampons! Note to self, always read the questions properly!!!! 

machine 20 Jun 2018
In reply to Webster:

Buy the Grivel narrow bails and fit them to your G14,s. They will then fit the new style narrow front Scarpa boots. The Grivel narrow bails cost around 10 quid and you could get them from Needle Sports. The black diamond narrows don't fit Grivel crampons as I have a pair and have tried. Grivel don't do an asymmetric narrow bail for the G20,s so if you have these you will have to use the standard narrow bail.

Post edited at 15:42
OP Webster 23 Jun 2018
In reply to machine:

perfect thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...