Technical fleece mid-layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
monsoon 15 Jun 2018

What other options are there for a technical fleece sort of mid later thing? i.e Patagonia's R1 hoody, ME's Shroud hoody. Not Rab though.

After something for all seasons which is how I use my R1. Over a T in summer, over a thicker base layer in winter.

Many thanks

mantelself 15 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

I have used  a Arc're-mortgage Fortrez Hoody for a couple of years in the manner you describe. I wouldn't have paid list price for it but got it BNWT from someone that had ate too many pies for around £90. If I were to lose it I would probably pay quite a bit more for one now.

munro90 15 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Anything made from grid fleece is my go to for this purpose: Alpkit Griffon, ME Eclipse, Montane Power-up are the ones that spring to mind.

monsoon 15 Jun 2018
In reply to mantelself:

> I have used  a Arc're-mortgage Fortrez Hoody for a couple of years in the manner you describe. I wouldn't have paid list price for it but got it BNWT from someone that had ate too many pies for around £90. If I were to lose it I would probably pay quite a bit more for one now.

Is that not more akin to a soft-shell? ie description suggests it has quite a hard outer. Am looking for something similar to Patagonia's R1

mantelself 15 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

no, it is not hard at all and is only slightly windproof. Edit: it is also much more 'gridded' than most photos ever show it to be.

Post edited at 22:18
 random_watcher 15 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

why not just buy another R1, seeing as you have used it and like it?

mantelself 15 Jun 2018
In reply to random_watcher:

straight up: on paper specs are one thing but a garment's cut and it personally fitting you are something else. Having options for  similar kit when you are about to replace is a great thing.

monsoon 16 Jun 2018
In reply to mantelself:

does look good. can get cheap too. just dont want any sort of windproof outer, needs to be fleece like as will be worn under stuff

In reply to monsoon:

At the other end of the price scale to the Fortrez...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-men-grey-id_8397188.html

Formerly the Bionnassay 100, discussed here in the past. Very small sized, even by Decathlon standards. Go two sizes up on your normal size if you want it to overlayer. Better still, try for size.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/decathlon_hoody_fleece-606789

The Fortrez appears to be in faced PowerStretch, which isn't usually gridded; there are no good shots of the inner face, apart from the hood, where it appears not to have any grid finish at all.

Post edited at 13:29
monsoon 16 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Fortez I think may be too heavy weight and slightly more of an outer than what I'm after. I'm thinking def mid layer like the R1 and Shroud

In reply to monsoon:

Alpkit Griffon is excellent and a total steal at £39.

The body is long too so it doesn’t pull out of your harness every move.

(Disclaimer: Alpkit gave me the top.) 

monsoon 18 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Does anyone know how the ME Eclipse hooded ‘tee’ and the ME Eclipse hooded jacket compare? Technical jargon isn’t so helpful  

Thanks

climber34neil 18 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

From what I can tell they are the same, just down to personal preference if you like a full zip or a pull on

climber34neil 18 Jun 2018
In reply to monsoon:

Also , I know you said not rab in your original post, I tend to stay away from Rab now as quality doesn't seem as good as it used to be, however I've been using Rab al for the last few years and really like it, I would say slightly lighter than R1 , if it's stitched together ok then there isn't much else that can go wrong?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...