Running abroad guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 07 Jun 2018

Is there a resource to find some sort of tourist circuits, but for running? I have to travel for work and if sometimes it's just a question of going outside the hotel and run randomly, sometimes it takes a little more preparation to build a 5k or 10k loop. Going through Strava segments help somewhat but it can be laborious and the quality of the circuits I manage to make is quite arbitrary.

I know Strava has a city guide and that's what I would like to have, but with more cities.

yorkshireman 07 Jun 2018
In reply to drolex:

I've never found anything perfect but I tend to repeat visit a lot of work locations so build up from trial and error.

Which cities? I can share some routes for Paris, London, Madrid, Berlin, Budapest, Brussels which are the cities I visit most often if you're interested.

I'm in Palma, Majorca on Monday for work which is a first - looking forward to exploring around there.

Post edited at 12:36
OP drolex 07 Jun 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Stuttgart, Tokyo, Lyon, Bordeaux, Hamburg...

Mostly Germany and France, sometimes UK and eastern Asia.

yorkshireman 07 Jun 2018
In reply to drolex:

> Stuttgart, Tokyo, Lyon, Bordeaux, Hamburg...

> Mostly Germany and France, sometimes UK and eastern Asia.

I'm mainly western hemisphere

Lyon is fairly local to me although I don't go there often - the river is an obvious option if you're central but a bit boring and likely done it loads of times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/830252998

If you've got a car I've sometimes run on the trails around Le Grand Large. I leave the car on the spit of land north of Meyzieu and there's loads of quiet trails to use.

https://www.strava.com/activities/620583753

Ava Adore 18 Jun 2018
In reply to drolex:

You may hit lucky and the country has a parkrun:

www.parkrun.com/countries

Hugo First 18 Jun 2018
In reply to drolex:

I find strava heat map more useful than segments. You can usually see at a glance the well trodden trails, useful for any new towns you find yourself in.

Anthony.RuntheWorld 04 Jul 2018
In reply to drolex:

Hi drolex, hi everyone.

I think we are trying to develop what you look for > Run the World project.

Mobile app + website devoted to those who travel, for both business & leisure purposes, and enjoy to take a run or a jog. We started gather and share for as many cities as we can in the world starting from 25 key ones (www.runtheworldapp.com)

Do you want to be one of the first runners in the world testing it?

We already got some feedbacks from Amsterdam to New York to Rio!
Want to try London or Edinburgh ? Just drop me a quick e-mail and I'll immediately enable you
>> anthony (at) runtheworldapp.com <<

We can't wait you to test it and we hope you'll enjoy the experience in your city and in the World! 
Note: we now only have English audio but this year we aim to launch the project and possibly also to introduce further languages. 

Talk soon, ciao
Anthony & the team at Run the World
(based in Venice, Italy)

Y Gribin 05 Jul 2018
In reply to drolex:

+1 for the recommendation for Strava heatmaps. I travel to some quite obscure places -usually very urban - and it’s great for finding that hidden, disused railway line or canal path.

Also, ask your hotel - they often have their own running maps, or a runner on their staff! 

Neil Williams 05 Jul 2018
In reply to drolex:

I’m in China at the minute, and what I’ve been doing is picking a couple of interesting things about the right distance away and running a loop taking a couple of them in.  Seems to be decent enough.

In reply to drolex:

Buy a walking guide, and, err, run the route? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...