Super dark drinking cocoa recommendations sought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 28 May 2018

Sainsburys have stopped selling their very tasty own brand Utz certified drinking cocoa.

It was my most favourite of drinking cocoas, too. 

Can anybody recommend one to try, which has a 'rich flavour which covers the tongue'?

The bar stewards.

Many thanks.

Post edited at 23:43
 MischaHY 29 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

If you're happy buying online then check this stuff out: 

https://www.beckscocoa.com/en/shop/product/bc102501-criollo-250g-594?catego... 

I worked directly for the chap that owns the business for a brief period in a cafe on a German Christmas market and thereby got extensive tasting opportunities The Criollo has a really intensely rich taste. It's all organic/fairtrade etc etc as well. 

Does come with a price tag though (€9.50)

Jon Greengrass 29 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I like a square of good quality 70-85% plain chocolate whizzed up with hot water or milk using an aerolatte.

I cut regular hot chocolate powder 2:1 with pure cocoa powder for my kids because they find the regular stuff far too sweet.

OP Timmd 29 May 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

It's been the pure cocoa powder I've been drinking without sugar being added. 

Jon Greengrass 29 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Hardcore !! Goodluck in your search.

d_b 29 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I use this stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hasslachers-Solid-Colombian-Drinking-Chocolate/dp/...

3 squares will get you a nice strong drink, 4 is good for a proper caffeine buzz from the chocolate.

You can also get it at M&S.

In reply to Timmd:

I just use cocoa powder, with any sugar added to taste (none usually, depending on the sweetness of the plant milk). The Suma one is really nice, smooth and not bitter. 

OP Timmd 30 May 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Hardcore !! Goodluck in your search.

Ha ha, thanks, hopefully I'll find something soonish. I think I start to get where the Incas were coming from, in their veneration of the cocoa bean. 

FactorXXX 30 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

How about this:

https://tinyurl.com/ybzznbe4

Failing that, I bought 100 packs of the Utz certified cocoa and would be willing to sell them to you for £15 each.

LeeWood 01 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I'm not a hot choc person but get my dark choc buzz from spreads - of which the likes cannot be purchased. You need a coffee grinder. Keep in fridge if you can resist not eating it in one hit !

Mill 2 hoppers of desiccated coconut (patience! produces an oily paste / powder) 

Mix in small bowl / container with 2 dst spoons cocoa 

Mash with soya milk to get a thick paste

Blend in 1 dst spoon liquid honey

Eat with rice cakes, biscuits or crackers - for the crunch

The plusses for me are that I can vary the recipe to taste and know exactly the contents and origin - and miss out on sugar entirely. I currently favor a variant with an additional 2 dst spoons of carob powder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...