Mountain Leader Work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Whittaker 28 May 2018

I passed my ML earlier this year and it seems training and assessment were actually the easy bits. Im now left scratching my head as to getting any ML work.

Im hoping to progress towards MIA training and need to have at least 20 days logged leading a group post ML assessment. Now im not particuarly bothered about doing ML work for financial reward right now (although i wouldnt say no!) , for me the benefit will be in getting to gain the experience required for MIA training. Logging 20 days taking the Mrs out walking doesnt quite cut the mustard.

Does anyone have any ideas, places to look for ML work either paid or in a charitable capacity. Are people needing ML's for any mountainous charity walks, 3 peaks etc? Perhaps you know people who would love to get out in the mountains but dont have the confidence to go themselves. 

I currently work in offshore oil and gas so 50% of my time im away however the other 50% im at home and free during the week or weekend. I can travel to Snowdonia, the Lake District & The Peak District and would be open to single or multi day including wild camps.

Feel free to drop me a message here if you have any ideas/people who would be interested.

The problem i see with posting this message on here is...this audience is probably far beyond wanting some guidance on the hills!

Andy Say 28 May 2018
In reply to J Whittaker:

Contact local Scouts.  And local DofE schemes.  Offer to support existing activity providers on courses (for free of course!)  Contact the local OEAP rep (  https://oeapng.info/ - apologies the website has been recently revamped, it used to be easy to find your LEA advisor...) 

Offer your services as a volunteer to any of the LEA centres that remain..... https://ahoec.org/

Andy

annieman 28 May 2018
In reply to J Whittaker: Freelance Outdoor Instuctor page on FB always has requests for ML's The extemely busy period is now upon us.

HF holidays if you don't mind jumping through a few more hoops.

Check the AAP page on the DofE website, for local company contacts, do the on-line expedition modules. again, plently of work on the DofE leaders and Freelance DofE Assessors pages on FB, voluntary and paid.

Lots of requests for ML's on the NCS programs all coming up before the end of school.

Things will be quiet in August then slowly pick up until October Half Term. 

Plenty of Charity challenges going on in the summer, more team work and long hours but great networking options. Discover Adventure, Charity challenge, Action challenge.

Most of my work has come from getting out there and then Networking with other ML's. 

Have worked through some unrewarding situations to come out the other side with great contacts and prospects.

Post edited at 17:05
 summo 28 May 2018
In reply to J Whittaker:

As well as the above some companies which organise school trips abroad use UK qualified staff, the pay is low and responsibility high, but it is all experience. These won't count as UK QMDs but it will broaden your skill set if you are looking to make the outdoors a career. 

I would look at obtaining the climbing quals too, not needed to register for MIA, but again it will broaden your skills, see how MIAs run their courses and give you a chance to network, which in the long run is where much of your work can come from in the future

OP J Whittaker 28 May 2018
In reply to annieman:

Cheers everyone, great advice.

Annie. Do you need any specific DofE qualifications or does having ML suffice? Im a member of those FB groups and i see alot for a DBS. Going to have to find out what that is and get it as i dont have one. Im presuming its like a criminal record check type thing?

ianstevens 28 May 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

> Contact local Scouts.  And local DofE schemes.  Offer to support existing activity providers on courses (for free of course!)  Contact the local OEAP rep (  https://oeapng.info/ - apologies the website has been recently revamped, it used to be easy to find your LEA advisor...) 

Why would anyone work for free?? To the OP - many groups on Facebook where you can begin to pick up some work for other providers here and there and then build up a bunch of contacts.

annieman 28 May 2018
In reply to J Whittaker:Other

Here is my take on DofE Expedition as a Self employed ML doing Expeditions most weekends from Easter to October half term and training days in school throughout the year. Love it - sharing my skills and love of the Outdoors and providing support and training to the next generation. Working with students that have chosen to be different and demonstrate that they are not just stroppy teenagers. Great fun.

Qualification requirements depend on the expedition level and who you are working for. ML ticks the box for Bronze, Silver and Gold. Being able to look after yourself and a group in Wild Country (Dofe Definition). Some AAP's will only employ ML's for all three levels.

If you can find one, get on a Safeguarding course. Some schools are now expecting this.

Go onto the DofE web page and complete the online modules. There is a DofE Supervisor course (1 day). As an ML you won't get much (nothing) about looking after yourself and group from the course but it needs to be understood that the Supervisor is responsible for the safety of the group of Teenagers, on the hill, moorland and mountain. You need to be able to second guess where they are going to go off course, plan to meet them, identify risk areas and supervise accordingly - Rivers, roads, railways, low visibility. Search for them - usually on a road. You will need to train them in the DofE syllabus of skills during the Practice expedition, progressively giving them more independence, towards remote supervision. On the Qualifying expedition you supervise remotely whilst ensuring that they are safe.

Once you are established you can get sponsored by an AAP or school to go onto an expedition Assessors course.

The bulk of the expedition work is at Bronze, and IMO that is the most demanding. Yr 9 or 10 whose only knowledge of expedition is what they have seen on TV. They will have a Rucksack full of Pringles and Haribos and not much else except for a BG knife  70/80% of the work is Bronze and quite a few don't know why they are there, some get on with it, some muck about. Once they get to Silver and Gold they are older and physically (sometimes mentally) stronger. The majority want to be there. They have some skills from Bronze. Generally a lot easier but we do progessively go to areas that have more contours and less roads - excellent. 

DBS, Data and Barring Service. Yes a criminal records check, as you are working with children you need an enhanced check. Once that you have it I suggest that YOU REGISTER for the annual update. Costs £13, you only have 14 days (I think) to arrange the update. Some AAP's, schools, organisations will run a check for you, some may charge you. There are independant methods but I've never needed to use them. Much better now to cough up £13 each year. 

summo 28 May 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> Why would anyone work for free?? To the OP - many groups on Facebook where you can begin to pick up some work for other providers here and there and then build up a bunch of contacts.

Because meaning no offence to anyone, the outdoor world is awash with MLs and SPAs, what gives people paid work is when they hold those qualifications with experience, other associated skills, proven ability to communicate with clients and a network of contacts..  to get to that point takes graft, some of it for free and a fair proportion don't make it, there just is not enough paid work for all the ML holders, but are no shortage of groups like the scouts who would be very grateful for some assistance. 

OP J Whittaker 28 May 2018
In reply to summo:

Thats pretty much the exact reason im willing to work for free in the beginning. Build up experience, work towards MIA and beyond and at some point be able to make a living and pull back from working offshore. Im in the lucky position that the nature of my work allows me a full time salary and i also have enough free time to volunteer and work towards the awards.

Its not a walk in the park though working offshore 12 hours a day 21 days in a row for half the year.

summo 28 May 2018
In reply to J Whittaker:

You might also want to consider doing your rope access quals and tie these in with whatever skills currently take you offshore. It just broadens your remit for times when outdoor climbing or walking work is scarce.

OP J Whittaker 29 May 2018
In reply to summo:

Im a chemist, No need for me dangling on a rope with my test tubes haha

ianstevens 29 May 2018
In reply to summo:

> Because meaning no offence to anyone, the outdoor world is awash with MLs and SPAs, what gives people paid work is when they hold those qualifications with experience, other associated skills, proven ability to communicate with clients and a network of contacts..  to get to that point takes graft, some of it for free and a fair proportion don't make it, there just is not enough paid work for all the ML holders, but are no shortage of groups like the scouts who would be very grateful for some assistance. 

Just because "the world is awash" does not mean you should work (and it is work) for free. I've built up my skills and contacts without doing a single unpaid day of work, simply because I value my time (whilst ML is not exactly complex, it's not ground zero either). If you wish to develop your skills and contacts, do some work as a secondary instructor in your consolidation period - many companies looking to employ people in such roles, which naturally attracts a lower pay rate. But still paid. Or work in a centre - again, lower qualification requirements and lower pay, but a good chance to build up skills. 

Unpaid internships stink, working for free in the outdoors is no different.

GrahamUney 29 May 2018
In reply to J Whittaker:

Have a look at the various outdoor jobs pages on Facebook. There are pretty much daily requests on there for MLs to work on Y3P and National 3P events. 

Or, do a Google search for companies that offer guided walks and send them a good old fashioned CV.

Hope that helps.

summo 29 May 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> Unpaid internships stink, working for free in the outdoors is no different.

I would argue that helping the scouts, DoE, a school etc.. is not the same working for free for several months, day in day out, on an internship. As I said further up the thread, there are paid opportunities, but the pay is low and the responsibility high. Different people take different routes to the same goal. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...