Headtorch design / just rubbish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max factor 21 May 2018

5 headtorches in 15 years. How hard can it be to design something that:

1) the plastic tilting mechanism doesn't break or wear out (failure on 2 blackd iamond tikka style designs)

2) The wiring to the separate battery box doesn't develop a fault (failure on Petzl Myo xp, and intermittent fault on Alpkit one. Incidentally, an unreliable head torch is worse than one that just breaks). 

3) doesn't turn on in your bag and waste all the batteries. Maybe a proper off switch that can be used to disables the large push-button?

Re. the first of these, anyone have use for 2 head torches that only fall forward and point to your nose?

Oceanrower 21 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

My caving headtorch is amazing. No problems at all.

Mind you, for a tad under 800 quid, there'd better not be!

top cat 21 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

Fenex is your friend......

Doug 21 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

You should have seen the head torches we had in the 1970s, when the most popular was the poorly named Achil Wonder lamp (or some similar name) - I'm still not sure what the wonder referred to.

Current head torches are amazing in comparison

OP Max factor 21 May 2018
In reply to top cat:

I don't know fenex. Are they expensive? Just need something for camping and emergencies. 

Probably the most bombproof ones in the family are from decathlon for about 4 quid each, so

might just steal the kid's.

alx 21 May 2018
In reply to top cat:

> Fenex is your friend......

Fenix 

In reply to Doug:

I'm old enough to remember the petzl one with a bulb you turned on by twisting the front. Yes, we are spoiled with leds nowadays. Would love to see the Wonder lamp though!

Dave the Rave 21 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

> I'm old enough to remember the petzl one with a bulb you turned on by twisting the front. Yes, we are spoiled with leds nowadays. Would love to see the Wonder lamp though!

I refurbished one of these last year out of nostalgia but put in a halogen bulb and AA converter. It’s alright to be fair and one of these got me out of a few situations.

Spoilt we are nowadays.

saying that I had a petzyl myo that burst into flames! The external wire to the battery.

Hat Dude 21 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

> Would love to see the Wonder lamp though!

http://www.smhc.co.uk/objects_item.asp?item_id=31803

Rick Graham 21 May 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I got an LED online that fits the Zoom.

Works on 1v to 9v and cost £10.

Good battery life, focuses fairly well and only problem is its so bright you have to be careful not to shine it in anybodies face.

dove868 21 May 2018
In reply to top cat:

Another thumbs up for Fenix - absolutely brilliant headtorches!!!

In reply to dove868:

Had a look, seem super bright. Still  at least £30 so comporable with BD or Petal ones. As long as they are robust, and don't turn on when you don't want them to, I could be persuaded.

Dan Arkle 21 May 2018

My biggest gripe is that petzl regulates brightness by strobing - are there other brands that don't strobe? 

d_b 22 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

There might be but I doubt it.  Petzl buy in cheap LED driver circuits by the bucket load, the same as everyone else.  Pulse width modulation is the standard approach that they use.

OwenM 22 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

I remember the wonder lamps, it was a wonder if they ever worked. Mine packed up half way up the three monts route on Mont Blanc.

mik82 22 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

If a headtorch uses an LED, it'll be dimmed by turning the LED off/on rapidly. The dimmer you go, the more time the LED spends off and the more noticeable the effect becomes (Pulse width modulation as d_b said). 

Toerag 22 May 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I refurbished one of these last year out of nostalgia but put in a halogen bulb and AA converter. It’s alright to be fair and one of these got me out of a few situations.

The AAs probably don't allow it to run for long enough, but a halogen bulb will get warm enough to allow the plastic reflector to soften enough such that when you turn it off the spring pressure distorts it and it turns itself back on again permanently.

Toerag 22 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

Try a LEDLenser SE series one - batteries are in the lamp unit so no wires to fail, and they have an on/off button lock feature which stops them getting turned on in your pocket. Tilt mechanism looks decent as well. Add to that they have an excellent spot/flood function and two power levels.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...