Climbing Technology Agile Shovel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 17 May 2018

https://www.climbingtechnology.com/en/outdoor-en/ice-axes-and-crampons/resc...

I'm aware that an axe like this or the Camp Corsa has limitations, but does this look a decent shovel for digging someone out of an avalanche?

I haven't been able to find any first-hand reviews of this kit online.

Pete Houghton 17 May 2018
In reply to humptydumpty:

I've got the axe and it's great as a running axe or as a lightweight second, on those days when you need to make a decision as to whether or not another axe is worth it. It only weighs 200g, so you can just throw it in. I've got mine strapped to my bag right now, as a backup for a Grivel AirTech Evo, for a weekend away.

I've not used the shovel, but I've handled it in many shops. It's easily as heavy and durable as some other metal blades on the shelf, and would perform quite a lot better than some of the other lightweight options. I'll definitely be investing in the blade when I've got a bit of pocket money.

OP humptydumpty 17 May 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Thanks, Pete - that's really helpful!

Any experience with how the axe performs for self arrest?

And where have you them in the shops?  I haven't seen the blade available separately online, although CT list is as a separate item on their website.  Also stocks of the axe or full kit seem very low in general.

When I was last in Technique Extreme on Rue Aiguille du Midi about three weeks ago they had the shovel.

I've self arrested once with the axe on about 30 degree sun-polished neve, in my running tights and trainers, and I definitely wouldn't want to have to do it again.

OP humptydumpty 17 May 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

I can't recall any account of self-arrest that gave a positive review of the experience.  But it worked, and sounds like you still plan to use the axe, so I guess it performed adequately!

> But it worked...

To be honest I'm not sure how much of it was the aluminium axe and how much of it was ever-increasing quantities of skin and flesh on display.

I would never want to be in a position where I'd need it to stop on anything steeper than 30 degrees again! Definitely time for steel at that point...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...