What's not been done on the Munros?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 11 May 2018

Was having a chat just now with a pal, sparked by my knack for ending up in the hills (often scantily clad - in running gear, I hasten to add) in pish weather. Has anyone yet achieved an entire round of the Munros whereby every single one was summitted in 360 degree cloud +/- rain/snow at right angles? I suspect the likes of Steve Fallon and Hamish Brown may be able to point to individual ascents of each Munro which met the conditions, but I'll bet they didn't string them together into a round.

It would, additionally, be interesting to think about how long this would take in an average year. Perhaps the ultimate pure boggin round would be to do the above, in a single journey, without a change of underwear. (To add "without a change of socks" would seem inhumane, however.)

d_b 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Inhumane seems to be the point, so no changes of socks.  If that's a problem then wear sandals.

Jamie Hageman 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Munro ignoring - almost climb all the Munros, but turn back a few metres from each summit.

(A bit like train ignoring (remember that from Fist Of Fun?)

OP Tricadam 11 May 2018
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> Munro ignoring - almost climb all the Munros, but turn back a few metres from each summit.

I like it! Should only be done by someone who's not already done the whole round. To make it more painful, the aspirant should not allow him/herself within 50m of any summit. This would lead to some wonderfully awful detours.

DerwentDiluted 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Anyone done them individually, each from sea level, on foot?

kwoods 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I'm about 10 panoramas short of having 360'ed them. Usually means I've started just going out on great weather days, which gives rise to the dreaded 'fair weather walker'!

Mal Grey 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Has all the tops but no Munro summits been done, by a Munro virgin. If so, what the feck were they thinkin'!

OP Tricadam 11 May 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

How about a single-journey round where every night has to be spent above 3000 feet?

Dave the Rave 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Turd on every summit? So far I’ve only done one on Cairn Stoul.

gavmac 11 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I met a guy, from Orkney if I remember rightly, that was doing this very thing! Don't think he was applying your 50 metre avoidance rule though  

Post edited at 23:14
 plyometrics 12 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

What about sex on every summit?

Munro shagging. 

alan moore 12 May 2018

> (A bit like train ignoring (remember that from Fist Of Fun?)

Mustn't forget the weak lemon drink...

Bulls Crack 12 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

How about just doing them because they're there? 

OP Tricadam 12 May 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Turd on every summit? So far I’ve only done one on Cairn Stoul.

Cairn Stoul. Love it! 

If one were then to pick up and carry each one off the hill, it would give a whole new meaning to the term Munro bagging. 

Post edited at 11:47
OP Tricadam 12 May 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

> What about sex on every summit?

> Munro shagging. 

I suppose it's a step up from Munro dogging. 

GrahamUney 12 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I've always thought the Munros should be done either in order of height, or in alphabetical order.

Billhook 12 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I'm surprised no one has done the them naked.

wercat 12 May 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

or eating a cup cake - Bunro bagging.

Munro Bagging with a dog would mean leaving a lot of work for the bag clearing faeries

Post edited at 16:35
 malk 12 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

i wonder if a spliff at every summit has been done?

Fruitbat 12 May 2018
In reply to GrahamUney:

> I've always thought the Munros should be done either in order of height, or in alphabetical order.

At least one person has done/was attempting them in height order. It must take some willpower to do just one hill when you are on what would normally be a multi-hill route. I wonder what rules these dudes gave themselves when on something such as the South Cluanie ridge? e.g. could they go along the ridge as normal but scoot around summits (and by how much) to get to theirs or does each hill have to be climbed totally independently of any others around it?

Also wonder how much extra this all adds for things like time, fuel etc.

llechwedd 12 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

No change of underwear? No big deal. I did this a few years ago. Modern fabrics dry quickly, so wash and go works fine. 
1 pair of socks won't last a  walk over the munros

OP Tricadam 13 May 2018
In reply to llechwedd:

When I said no change of underwear, I meant no washing allowed, I'm afraid. 

SenzuBean 13 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

How about visiting each Munro with a different person, whose last name is Munro. Would require convincing a lot of people to go walking!

Toerag 13 May 2018
In reply to llechwedd:

>  1 pair of socks won't last a  walk over the munros

What, not even 1000mile socks?

Sophie G. 13 May 2018

> Munro ignoring - almost climb all the Munros, but turn back a few metres from each summit.

This suggestion is definitely the thread-winner as far as I'm concerned.

My penultimate Munro, in about June 2004, was Slioch. I got to the subsidiary top on a gorgeous day and sat there looking at the main summit and thinking "I'm not sure I want to go over there. Because if I do, this whole adventure will be nearly over, with nothing left to do except scamper up Sith Chaillean. And I don't want it to be over. It's too good to be over."

llechwedd 13 May 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> What, not even 1000mile socks?

It's more than 1000miles 

OP Tricadam 14 May 2018
In reply to llechwedd:

> It's more than 1000miles 

Yeah, I think he was thinking about the Proclaimers song, not doing the Munros. Easy mistake to make. 

llechwedd 14 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

I'm not sure if it's ever been done in the same pair of (not re-soled) shoes/boots...

Phil1919 14 May 2018
In reply to llechwedd:

re underpants. Presumably you can't change or wash underpants in between Munro trips either. They have to be on from start to finish.

llechwedd 14 May 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

> re underpants. Presumably you can't change or wash underpants in between Munro trips either. They have to be on from start to finish.

Even presuming a colostomy would sort out the decanting of waste so as to comply with your stipulation, the resultant sweaty malodorous yeasty groin would probably have you way(laid) by amorous goats on the slopes of Glensheil, An Teallach etc.. 

Phil1919 14 May 2018
In reply to llechwedd:

You could take them down to go to the toilet!

OP Tricadam 14 May 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

> You could take them down to go to the toilet!

Yes, I would generally advocate this. 

Removed User 14 May 2018

Ha ha. I think it was Tom Weir, having been up all but a tiny handful of Munros, said "I'm going to be the man who didn't do the Munros."

In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Every one in fine weather?!

jcm

Flinticus 16 May 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

In jeans and trainers? No coat.

Jamie Hageman 16 May 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

> In jeans and trainers? No coat.

Or boxing gloves and roller skates

Dom Connaway 19 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Done it.

I think. 

Post edited at 06:46
 Iain Thow 21 May 2018
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Currently trying that. 7 left, including A' Ghlas Bheinn - 4 trips and still haven't seen the whole view.

Re clothing: I took the same wool jumper, christened the Dead Sheep, up all the Munro's on my first round. It resembled a string vest by the end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...