when to replace a harness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 11 May 2018

Hello all,

This is something I'm sure I should know the answer to, but anyway.

I don't climb much any more - maybe half a dozen times a year - but I'm off climbing next weekend. It occurred to me earlier this year that my current harness is probably ten years old, maybe a bit older - it got used a lot for the first four years, in summer and winter conditions, but has seen little use since then. It's been stored in the warm and dry, it's not showing any visible 'replace this now!' signs of wear or tear, but it is still at least ten years old. Given that it's a vital piece of safety equipment, when should one replace these things? 

Neil Williams 11 May 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Manufacturers seem to say 5 or 10 years regardless of use (which it is depends on the manufacturer), sooner if used heavily or visibly worn.  So it might be time to replace now.

Post edited at 17:20
 GrahamD 11 May 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Personally I just replace them when they look worn.  I don't think I've ever replaced one because its old.  

OP Tall Clare 11 May 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I'll be buying a new harness then. Thanks for the link.

baron 11 May 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not just about harnesses and not as extensive a test as the previous link but might be of interest -

https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/experience-story?cid=qc-lab-old-...

OP Tall Clare 11 May 2018
In reply to baron:

Thanks for sharing that. I'd already decided a while ago that any non-metal bits of my rack could do with reslinging (even the dragon cams that have only been used once), and my ropes have been retired. Which makes it daft that I'd be even thinking about using my harness, really!

Andy Hardy 11 May 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Kudos for not having "outgrown" your harness in 10 years!

Dave the Rave 11 May 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I was advised by a climbing wall attendant that my daughters 12 yr old harness was too old and he just laughed at my 18 yr old one. 

He did loan us 2 harnesses for nowt though.

Apparently the shelf life for fabrics is 3 years and forever for krabs etc from his recent course. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...