NEWS: UKC/UKH Gear Pages Updated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 11 May 2018
The new and improved Gear homepage, 3 kbBig new updates to our Gear Pages have been rolled out this week, to create a more attractive and user-friendly browsing experience.

Read more
 cocomosey 11 May 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

The redesign looks great, but sad to see still hardly any gear reviews by/for women.

richprideaux 11 May 2018
In reply to cocomosey:

I know of at least one coming up (not by me, I just wear a skirt sometimes...)

In reply to cocomosey:

That's been a big issue for ages, the main problem being a lack of suitable female reviewers coming forward. That has now changed I'm glad to say, and we're actively working on upping women's contributions in the gear.

Something like 20-25% of our reviews in April were by and for women; admittedly that was a good month compared to many previous. Parity would be better of course - but then again only 13% of the respondents in our 2016 readership survey identified as female so there's that to bear in mind too I suppose.

What I can say with some confidence is that you will definitely be seeing more reviews on UKC and UKH by and for women in future...

Ramon Marin 11 May 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Looking good! I prefer the font used on the first screenshot, which I believe is ever so slightly different than the other screens? Unless I'm going mad...

Ramon Marin 11 May 2018
In reply to cocomosey:

I think you should volunteer, you'd be surprised how many girls are reluctant to review gear

cocomosey 11 May 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did volunteer back in December 2017 and was offered a trial as a UKC reviewer. But then UKC stopped replying to my emails and nothing came of it. So I find their insistence that they are actively working on redressing the balance quite disingenuous.

Ramon Marin 11 May 2018
In reply to cocomosey:

I wouldn't call them disingenuous just because they didn't reply your email, anyone can have too much on their plate at work. You can always pick up the trail and email them again

In reply to Ramon Marin:

The fonts should be the same in the screenshot although I'm trialling using system fonts on www2 if you want a look. The bold's are less bold. There's only 2 font weights available in Noto Sans that's used on www at the mo.

Southvillain 11 May 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

but then again only 13% of the respondents in our 2016 readership survey identified as female so there's that to bear in mind too I suppose

But it's a bit chicken-and-egg, i.e. were only 13% female in 2016 because there were so few apparent female correspondents/reviewers? Why visit a site that doesn't cater to you? You improve that figure by providing a more female-friendly site. Hopefully that's happening. Nice re-design BTW... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...