The Ridges of Norway's Jotunheim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just before the descent to the col between West Styggedalstinden and Sentraltinden, 4 kbMajestic and adventurous, the Jotunheim mountains are the true alpine peaks of Norway. If long sharp ridges are your thing, the area is a goldmine. Let local expert Jamie Simpson be your guide...

Read more
 Toerag 11 May 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

When to go - is the area like the Rondane where a lot of tourist accommodation simply shuts at the end of August with no warning? That could be a problem if people are expecting to stay somewhere at short notice. Apart from that it looks good.

Thanks for your comment.

The huts  "opening and closing" times are often subjected to conditions, i.e. snow conditions.  

As most of the huts in the Jotunheim are privately owned, you will need to check each website for the opening and closing times.  They can be found at https://www.ut.no.

As most huts are run at a local level its best to check in the shoulder seasons if they are open.  

After slogging our guts out through sleet to the top of Fannaråken Hytta, we found it not only locked but hermetically sealed for the winter. When I raised the matter with DNT, they said.... Sorry about that. 

Post edited at 13:49
 Toby_W 11 May 2018
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

I remember skiiing up Storen in the dead of winter, digging the hut out and then discovering it had been down classed from hut to emergency shelter.  It was like the ice box of a fridge.  Out of the wind and worst of it though

Fantastic area

Cheers

Toby

TobyA 11 May 2018

Super article although I would say fans Lyngen might contest the claim that "the Jotunheim are the true alpine mountains of Norway", not saying Jotunheim isn't alpine but Lyngen is pretty alpine too!

From my limited experience in North Norway, grades seem rather inconsistent. I did a great 5 or 5+ route on Kvaloya that felt as tough as 6s I had done on Lofoten, so 5+ can be solid E1! Maybe the southern Norwegians aren't as tough as their arctic brethren though.  

wbo 11 May 2018
In reply to TobyA:Sunnmore is also pretty fantastic but The ridges in Jotunheimen are pretty super. 

Whats the situation with snow  on these things at the moment? Thinking of next weekend

pneame 11 May 2018
 GarethSL 11 May 2018
In reply to TobyA:

The Norwegian grading system is a mess, I think it mostly goes back to when they used the alpine system (back when nothing went beyond 6), and in typical Norwegian style nobody wanted to grade anything harder than that. So often classic or big mountain routes are quite sandbagged* with the grade. Innerdalen is renowned for this. But as we all know the n grade tells you almost nothing!

*especially for those trying to 'convert/ compare' a Norwegian grade to the UK system!

In reply to Toby_W:

If I remember correctly you wrote a good article about your ascent of Storen via Andres Renne (?).

The hut has been described to me many times as an icebox   with many even in winter preferring a tent. 

In reply to TobyA:

There over the magic 2000m and therefore there status is bedded in steep Norwegian tradition, everything else just doesn’t cut the mustard

Grades in Norway…. don’t get me started. Randomly scattered numbers on out of focus photos would be more accurate  

In reply to pneame:

Thanks for the picture / map. Absolutely brilliant.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 May 2018

Great article - almost tempted,

Chris

In reply to GarethSL:

The grades in this article are consistent and accurate for the routes described. Other routes, even classics in the area? Well its a shame  the new Jotunheim guidebook didn’t correct the clear errors. 

Totally agree about the grades chaos thing. I was reluctant to add a conversion Norwegian to UK grade table, even thought about using alpine grades but decided against it.  

pasbury 12 May 2018
In reply to pneame:

Nice cartography.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...