Everest Cam-lok belay device / ascender

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dove868 10 May 2018

Hi folks,

Does anyone know anything or have any links to some information on this device?

Found it whilst trawling eBay (I like collecting weird / funky / old bits and bobs of climbing gear) and have never heard of or seen anything like this.

I tried to include a link to the item but the IT gremlins wouldn't let me - you can find it easily however by going onto eBay and searching for Everest cam-lok - it's the only one on there!!

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

deepsoup 10 May 2018
In reply to dove868:

As far as I know, UKC won't let you post links to fleabay because there have been problems in the past with people spamming the forum with links to stuff they were selling.

This thing gets a brief mention on Gary Storrick's website.  (Surely the king of the caving gear freaks.)
http://storrick.cnc.net/VerticalDevicesPage/Misc/RopeGrabPages/RopeGrab0765...

It seems to me that it's neither a belay device nor an ascender.  It's a fall-arrest device designed to slide up/down a fixed rope, something like a Troll Rocker.  As it needs to be threaded on to the rope at the end, my guess is it's an old industrial device intended to be left in-situ (at least temporarily) to protect something like a vertical ladder.

Dell 10 May 2018
In reply to dove868:

I'm guessing the wire inside clamps the rope to the inside of the tube. 
 Looks rubbish by modern standards, but if you like collecting wierd gear, it's only a quid. 

deepsoup 10 May 2018
In reply to Dell:

Anyone who does have an interest in collecting weird gear and hasn't already seen this will possibly waste a *lot* of time rummaging around here:  http://storrick.cnc.net/VerticalDevicesPage/VerticalHome.shtml

OP dove868 10 May 2018

Thanks both!

Yes it certainly does look odd but that's the interesting part for me!

Thanks for the link - shines a bit more light onto the matter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...