Why did the Iran Nuclear deal happen? Background?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 10 May 2018

Can someone either very briefly summarise the WHY it originally came about, or point me to some literature on it?

I don't understand why all those countries got together to say that Iran can't make nuclear material but other countries are allowed? Did they do something wrong/history of violence or something?

Thanks

OP elliot.baker 10 May 2018
In reply to Philip:

Mmm I read a bit of that but it still doesn't make sense to me, ie:

"In the 2000s, the revelation of Iran's clandestine uranium enrichment program raised concerns that it might be intended for non-peaceful uses."

What about America's nukes are they for peaceful uses? What about our nukes? Russia's? 

Why was the UN or whoever allowed to get together and say Iran isn't allowed to make nukes and those othe countries are? Seems a bit unfair/racist/Hollywood good vs evil to me. I didn't find an explanation for that on wikipedia or from a cursory check of other sources so wondered if anyone on here knew

??

alx 10 May 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:

Its the difference between the haves dictating to the have nots. The haves currently are in some ways comfortable with squaring up to one another over and over again, its brinkmanship - push the boundaries to the limit for their own internal political gain then take a step back and cool off. Adding in new players into that game could make things much more unstable in which the current haves, have less flexibility and more to lose. In this case the cost-benefit analysis resulted in a deal between Iran, US, UK, France etc which kept the haves and the have nots involved temporarily happy.

This btw is my late night pigeon summation of a very complex issue and is most likely crock.

Post edited at 21:59
 Philip 10 May 2018

Non-proliferating treaty is why. No one is supposed to develop new capabilities.

But you're right, after years of no new powers, it's about time there was some reduction in the armoury of those who do.

krikoman 10 May 2018

> Mmm I read a bit of that but it still doesn't make sense to me, ie:

> "In the 2000s, the revelation of Iran's clandestine uranium enrichment program raised concerns that it might be intended for non-peaceful uses."

> What about America's nukes are they for peaceful uses? What about our nukes? Russia's? 

Most countries signed up for a non proliferation treaty from 1970 onwards (after the major power already had enough to blow the world to bits). A number of countries never signed, notably Israel, who still deny having nuclear weapons, though it's common knowledge they do and have "silenced" people who worked on their program.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Nuclear-Non-Proliferation-Treaty-discriminator...

It would be great if everyone got ride of their weapons but, people are scared and obviously, like the US and it's gun fettish, "we have weapons to keep us safe". Which is reality means exactly the opposite.

MarkJH 10 May 2018

> Why was the UN or whoever allowed to get together and say Iran isn't allowed to make nukes and those othe countries are? Seems a bit unfair/racist/Hollywood good vs evil to me. I didn't find an explanation for that on wikipedia or from a cursory check of other sources so wondered if anyone on here knew

Iran chose to sign up to the NPT, and chose not to withdraw from it after the revolution.  i.e. they voluntarily signed up to a treaty which compelled them not to make nukes; they weren't forced.  On a more practical level, if Iran gets a nuke then SA will also get one.  Whatever you think of the USA, Russia or our own government, if the thought of those two countries getting hold of nuclear weapons doesn't terrify you, then you don't know enough about their government or ideology.

Rob Parsons 10 May 2018

> Why was the UN or whoever allowed to get together and say Iran isn't allowed to make nukes and those othe countries are?

Read up on the Non-proliferation Treaty - e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Non-Proliferation_of_Nuclear_We...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...