Alpkit Ordos 2 & Jaran 2 Tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 08 May 2018

I’m looking for a sub 2kg tent primarily for ultralight backpacking and cycle touring. Generally short warm weather trips.

I have been looking at a few tents, particularly the MSR Hubba Hubba, but it is quite expensive and I’ve read mixed reviews. 

These Alpkit tents both look good, but I have not seen them in the flesh. I’ll probably try and have a look in their Ambleside shop next time I’m in the lakes, but would be interested to hear from any owners.

LG-Mark 08 May 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

My boys use a 1st generation Ordos2, and i think its very very good. Light, reasonably stable. It is slightly faffy to pitch and the inner-first pitching combined with all-mesh inner isn't great in poor weather - a non-mesh inner would shed some rain better before you get the fly on.

But weight-for-price-for-quality i think its great. Not sure how much later ones have varied but its unlikely to have gone downhill i would have thought.

John1458 08 May 2018

I picked up an new and unused Jaran 2 from the classifieds here last year for £60. I primarily wanted a lightweight tent to take in hold luggage out to the alps. It was excellent as a tent to use in the valley in warm weather at the campsite. It's got good headroom and usefully sized vestibules. 

Prior to using for 2 weeks in the alps I camped for a week in Cornwall. Heavy rain and 50mph winds were the story of the week. In a fairly exposed campsite it took a battering in 50 mph winds and I had to add extra guy ropes to stop it folding in on itself. It did survive though and kept me dry all week. 

OP The New NickB 08 May 2018

Thanks both, seems like both may be worth considering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...