Extreme Alpinism for mountain marathons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 03 May 2018

Hi all,

I absolutely loved Extreme Alpinism. I took a lot of the information in it and adapted it for my purposes (I am no alpinist). 

Does a similar book exist for mountain marathon / adventure racing?

Thanks,

BB

Post edited at 22:47
 Andy Reeve 04 May 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Hi BB. I did the Glen Coe Skyline last year, which was pretty different to anything I had done before (longer and much greater height gain). Similar to what you describe, I prepared by adapting a book aimed at alpinists, of which I am not one: Training for the New Alpinism. I found this pretty easy to adapt for my needs for the GCSL, which I should think is probably not entirely dissimilar to mountain marathons and adventure racing.

Fire away if you have any questions about it.

catherine4331 04 May 2018

If you like the look of Training for the New Alpinism, you should check out Uphill Athlete, it's the website from the authors of the book.

They have plenty of general training articles and some written by a top mountain ultra marathon runner. The forums there are very good too, plus they have some training plans you can buy (I think there is a fell ultra one)

iusedtoclimb 04 May 2018
In reply to bouldery bits: This book made a lot of sense to me and wasn't just about doing loads and loads of miles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Essentials-Ultrarunning-Ultramarathon-Per...

DaveHK 04 May 2018

> Does a similar book exist for mountain marathon / adventure racing?

It would be a pretty short book: Have lots of really big days in the hills prior to the event then spend the week or 2 prior to it resting.

OP bouldery bits 04 May 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave,

Extreme Alpinism has a training section, but also a lot more info on philosophy, skills, knowledge, equipment etc.

I can do training. ImI quite good at suffering. Just looking for some extra performance gains however I can (cos I'm rubbish!) .

In reply to Andy Reeve:

Hi Andy,

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Will get a copy ordered. Thanks!

BB

In reply to catherine4331:

Thanks Stuart, I will take a look.

Casa Alfredino 05 May 2018

I believe Extreme Alpinism is pretty much the same book as Training for the new alpinism - Mark Twight was Steve Houses long term climbig partner so I THINK quite a lot of info is shared between the books. But haven;t seen them next to one another so not sure...

wbo 05 May 2018
In reply to Casa Alfredino:theres a lot more real training information/detail in Training for the New Alpinism, and would be a good start

nufkin 06 May 2018
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

>  I believe Extreme Alpinism is pretty much the same book as Training for the new alpinism

From memory, 'Training...' is a bit more evidence-based and scientific, 'Extreme Alpinism' is a bit more along the lines of 'stop being a pansy and go go go'

Casa Alfredino 08 May 2018
In reply to nufkin:

Haha - excellent! There are good reasons to heed both approaches!

d_b 08 May 2018
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

The real problem with "Training for the new Alpinism" is that the author seems to disapprove of pre climb hangovers.  It's just not compatible with the British ethic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...