navigation lake district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dingerbell 28 Apr 2018

Just wondering where you guys think the trickiest area for navigation is In the lake district

sbc23 28 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

The 1 km square east of stickle tarn is like navigating in sand dunes. 

Chris Harris 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

In the middle of Grizedale forest. 

Jon Stewart 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

The easiest place to go down the wrong valley is esk hause, because there's actually two hauses spread across a featureless bit of hill. Although I believe heading down the unpopular Wythburn is also quite popular. 

Wainers44 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

The long ridge of Glaramara can test your accuracy a bit.

I sometimes feel confused after drinking Old Peculiar in the Sticklebarn in Langdale, but that maybe something else.

summo 29 Apr 2018
In reply to sbc23:

> The 1 km square east of stickle tarn is like navigating in sand dunes. 

Yeah. All the way along until you are above chapel stile. Plus loughrigg fell is good too, especially if you use a smaller map. 

Si Withington 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

You can make anywhere ‘tricky’, but for more advanced nav courses we use Yewdale Fell above Coniston, Blea Rigg and Silver Howe areas above Grasmere/Langdale and occasionally Loughrigg. Lots of features and not many mapped paths.

Bulls Crack 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

In the cloud?

GrahamD 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

Either Esk Hause or the top of Crinkle Crags in my experience.

CEW 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

Shap fells for some micronav, or as above have said Glaramara

john1963 29 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

High Raise . Center of the lakes and behind Langdale fells , never sure where I am round there.

In reply to Dingerbell:

Langadale is susprising for such a honeypot area, and I'd agree with the above, both with the area around Blea Rigg (east of Stickle Tarn) and Crinkle Crags.  Was "navving casual" with a mate in the clag and ended up walking ninety degrees out off Crinkle Crags.

"This is descending a bit much, isn't it?"

lone 30 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

Back in 2012 I found coming off Harrison Stickleover the Langdale Pikes down to  Dungeon Ghyll in really poor vis quite a challenge, every time I tried a bearing from a known point I ended up at a precipice ! It took a few goes to get it right. I think the thick mist made the crags look much more of a problem than they were. It would be interesting to do it again as since then my navigation skills have improved a lot.

Jason

Simon Caldwell 30 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

Another vote for Glaramara. Also the hills on the south side of Eskdale - quite often used for orienteering competitions.

snoopdawg 30 Apr 2018
In reply to Dingerbell:

Rosthwaite fell, yet to decide the actual top,same with Seathwaite fell,3 cairns? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...