Gran Paradiso National Park in late August

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cacheson 26 Apr 2018

Hi all,

I am planning on heading to the Alps this summer with someone who hasn't been to the Alps for a few years, and am looking for a good area for getting back into the swing of things. We are ideally looking for somewhere with the following options:

Good selection of relatively short (single day) routes around PD below 3500m: ridges preferred to glacier plods

Via ferrata around 4c or below

Multipitch sport below 5

Not queuing on routes

Preferably not super expensive

Looking to stay at a base in the valley (probably air bnb or similar) for a week or two and drive around to get to places. I was wondering whether the south side of the Gran Paradiso national park would be a good option: has anybody been in August? Does it have a good selection of climbing and via ferrata? Will it be really busy what with the Italian national holidays and all? Any alternative recommendations spring to mind?

Cheers,

Chris

caver 26 Apr 2018
In reply to cacheson:

The Durance Valley would be an alternative that offers everything you're looking for. Useful info on this site.

http://www.alpineaccomodation.com/#/local-info/4532412685

MG 26 Apr 2018
In reply to cacheson:

GP is a splendid area - look at Valnontey. No via Ferrata though.

John Cuthbert 28 Apr 2018
In reply to cacheson:

You are wrong about the lack of VF. There are plenty reachable by car and most are fairly modern.

Details here:

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/via-ferrata/italy/valle-di-aosta

MG 28 Apr 2018
In reply to John Cuthbert:

Useful link. I was meaning within the GP national park, where I don’t think there are any. The Monte Emilius one looks good but is quite a long walk to get to.

kenr 29 Apr 2018

Yes the approach + descent from Mt Emilius are long and steep (with some re-ascent). The bivouac at the base is small + cramped. Likely want a good GPS track so don't get confused on the approach trails.

Durance / Briancon obvious for the OPs reqs

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...