REVIEW: Arc'teryx Atom SL Vest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 24 Apr 2018
Atom SL montage, 3 kbThis ultralight insulating layer probably weighs less than half your t-shirts, yet it packs a surprising punch in terms of warmth for weight, says Dan Bailey. Shame the cut is so short!

Read more
 hbeevers 24 Apr 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I've been looking at the alpkit morphosis Vs a vapour rise actually. How have you found it, or is there a review coming along soon anyway?

In reply to hbeevers:

Funny you ask: we've a big summer softshell review coming out in a few weeks. The Morphosis is in that, but not VapourRise (Rab have submitted a softshell with no backer for this review). They both use a very similar principle. I've used Vapour Rise stuff for years and really rate it, and I'm quite taken with the Alpkit version too - but I'm not sure I'll have time to offer you a more detailed like-for-like comparison

tomsandison 24 Apr 2018

What’s the tent in the pic?

In reply to tomsandison:

It's a Macpac Minaret... and it's ace. Look out for a 2-person tents group test this summer

rgold 20 May 2018

I have the Atom SL Vest and really like it for mild weather activity that can get a little chilly in the morning and evening.  For typical US not-really-alpine summer conditions, I think that a long-sleeve sun-protection hoody, the Atom vest, the Rab Vapour-Rise Flex jacket, and a goretex shell for wind and rain protection will work really well in a combination of conditions when generally mild weather makes breathability during activity one of primary concerns.  Add the very light and compact Mountain Hardware Ghostwhisperer down jacket to the pack and I should be ready for the kind of sometimes-intense afternoon summer storms at altitude  that can blow up in the Tetons and Colorado Rockies.

Caveat: since the vest is very new, I haven't tested this combination in the summer conditions mentioned, but rather in relatively mild winter conditions that I believe are equivalent.

I might add that the vest stays tucked in to my harness; hem length is not a problem for me.

Post edited at 04:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...