Young driver insurance blackbox/Telematics poli

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 haworthjim 22 Apr 2018

Hello all,

Im interested hearing people experiences of insurance with the blackbox. Reading online reviews it seems they are a bit of a scam- reduced upfront premium but clawed back via the black box. Thanks in advance

jim

In reply to haworthjim:

I can't help thinking that anything an insurance company wants you to use is for their benefit, not yours. Will they like you driving after midnight, or when it's raining? Probably not. It'll be interesting to see what practical experiences people have had.

nniff 22 Apr 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

I had a black box for a while - it was going into the run-around and so I thought 'Why not?  Nothing to see here'.  So I took one for about 6 months as requested and it diligently monitored me taking the dog out and droning up and down the A3 on my commute.  I then sent it back and they duly told me that I was one of their safest drivers which has made, according to my calculations, the square root of f*** all difference to my premium and if they want me to have another they can shove it where the sun doesn't shine, which the blessed little device will probably record as a violent manoeuvre.

Tomtom 23 Apr 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

A few years ago I lost my NBC, and as a fairly new and younger driver, struggled to get reasonably priced insurance. Black box option was cheaper by a few hundred quid. Bloke came round to fit it, no dramas. Tried to drive how they wanted, checked my online report once around 6 months in and was on silver medal, apparently. Didn't bother checking it again. End of year they made no mention of it, offered me a renewal that was pretty high. Went on compare website, found a cheaper price without black box, and they didn't ask if I'd had a black box. As far as I can see they don't share that info.

IME get one for cheaper premium, ignore it, swap companies at years end. UNLESS... I hear some companies will penalise you mid year for crap driving, so check that. 

Scott K 23 Apr 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

My daughter (19) doesn't need one in the car-insurance in her name. We had one fitted for 3 months - got an email saying the driving was good and the premium went up at the end of the year!! Just moved to another company.

My son has 2 friends who have had insurance cancelled due to them. One of them had already been hit with increased premiums but obviously didn't take the hint.

I wouldn't bother unless I had to although 2 families we know had them fitted to the kids car and it made a massive difference to premiums. In one case it reduced it by about £2000.

In reply to Scott K:

We went with one for the 17 year old who has just passed his test, and it saved over £2000 on his first premium.  We will see what happens in the future...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...