Mountaineers Needed! Smartphone Use Study

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rw293016 22 Apr 2018

Mountaineers needed for a study about smartphone use during high-alpine expeditions! Please consider completing our brief, anonymous survey about your plans to use a smartphone during your next high-alpine expedition.

https://ohio.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dam9LXaUHbGVeWF 

The survey is 59 questions and takes less than 10 minutes to complete.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert Warner & Nina Adanin

Pedro50 22 Apr 2018
In reply to rw293016:

You lost me at the gender question. 

In reply to rw293016:

Why are you guys so obsessed with race? I can’t see what this has to do with smartphone use in an alpine environment. 

JoshOvki 22 Apr 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

I thought I would persist past the gender questions, probably best you didn't. The rest of the survey is nonsense

Repeating the same question

> I am expected to use a smartphone during my next expedition.

> I intend to use a smartphone during my next expedition.

> I plan to use a smartphone during my next expedition.

Then my favourite question:

> For me to stay safe during my next expedition is…

Extremely Unimportant <-> Extremely Important

rw293016 23 Apr 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

My apologies for the confusion of the gender question. This question is asked in this way to acknowledge those mountaineers that may not identify as cisgender male or female.

rw293016 23 Apr 2018
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Hello Stefan,

We are collecting this information to merely gain a better understanding of those participating in this study. This information likely has little relationship to smartphone use in an alpine environment, however is useful in describing who participated in the study.

rw293016 23 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

I apologize that the questions seem redundant. The three questions that you highlighted do measure the same thing. They are asked in this way to gain a better understanding of the consistency of a person's intent. Speaking more broadly to the format of this survey, questions are asked a specific way in order to elicit certain types of information. I do acknowledge that as result of this method, some questions seem strange.

slab_happy 23 Apr 2018
In reply to rw293016:

> My apologies for the confusion of the gender question. This question is asked in this way to acknowledge those mountaineers that may not identify as cisgender male or female.

Okay, the intention is admirable, but I've got to say that the execution is a bit of a mess.

You've got "Man or male or masculine" as though all those things are the same (and I think a lot of activists would want to point out that they really, really aren't), versus "Woman or female or feminine" and "Gender non-conforming or gender-queer".

What about -- for example -- someone who identifies as a masculine woman (and therefore also counts as gender non-conforming)? What's she supposed to tick? Or a feminine man?

It seems like you're trying hard to get things right, but have inadvertently ended up saying that being a man and being masculine are basically the same thing (etc.) which I'm guessing is what the opposite of what you're aiming at.

I don't see how whether someone is trans or cis can conceivably have anything to do with their smartphone use, so that's irrelevant (and none of the categories you've provided actually involve whether someone is trans or cis anyway ...).

If you want to include a gender question, a simple version could feature "Male", "Female",  "Other" and "Prefer not to say". That seems to be considered inoffensive by most trans and genderqueer people I know.

rw293016 23 Apr 2018
In reply to slab_happy:

Thank you for your feedback regarding this survey. Undoubtedly, certain questions on this survey can be improved to better represent all potential users. Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to change questions and will incorporate your feedback into future survey development.

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I apologize if this question was harmful to you or others you know.

Post edited at 19:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...