3000's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TimmyP 17 Apr 2018

Morning all,

I'm after some advice if that is ok?

I'm planning on doing the 3000's next week with a group of mates. Mixed bag of ability fitness so we are splitting it into 2 days. I think we'll all enjoy it more that way too.

- My plan was to do it N/S (Carn's day 1 / Glyder's & the half horshoe day 2). Would you suggest that swappng days is a good idea depending on weather? I'm guessing that the Glyders / Horshoe benefit more from the better weather? Or would you stick it out regardless?

- Assuming the plan stays as above and we are feeling reasonable after the Carn's, is there an obvious or sensible way to make day 2 easier? Does Tryfan or Eildr Fawr work as a standalone for example? It will obviously add mileage to the thing as a whole but it would be nice to be a fresher for the horshoe if at all possible.

- I'm guessing there isn't much snow left about? Can anyone confirm that?

- I've never done Tryfan myself although we have some scrambling experience. Most info I can find on the North face seems to suggest that if you keep going up you can't go far wrong. Is that about right or over simplified?

- Finally (most importanly?), can anyone suggest the best place to have a few beers around Llanberis?

All advice welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Pero 17 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

I would definitely do the days according the weather.  You may need a better weather day to get along Crib Goch in any case.  If it's windy one day you are far better off on the Carneddau that day.

But, all things being equal, I would do S-N with Snowdon on day 1.  There are two main reasons.  It's easier to plod round the Carneddau if you are tired on day 2.  And, if you don't finish and just do one day, you've done the better, longer day.

Starting at Pen-y-Pass is a big help, as you are nearly 400m up.  So, I would do that.  Crib Goch and Snowdon first.  If you drop down Cwm Glas, you end up near Nant Peris.  That leaves a logical round of the middle section, starting with Elidir Fawr.  In fact, that way you either descend the N Ridge of Tryfan or descend some other way.

You could start with Tryfan, but then, once you come off Elidir Fawr it is really tedious up Snowdon via Cwm Glas or quite complex to head over to the N Ridge of Crib Goch, especially if that's the end of a long day.

Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Pero:

I would suggest that the best weather day should be saved for Tryfan north ridge if you’ve not done it before. You need to see your route and easier options. Alternatively out and back up the south ridge.

Pero 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I would suggest that the best weather day should be saved for Tryfan north ridge if you’ve not done it before. You need to see your route and easier options. Alternatively out and back up the south ridge.

The round of the the 3,000ers does not necessarily involve Tryfan N Ridge.  It didn't when I did them.

In any case, since Crib Goch and Tryfan are to be done on the same say, doing Crib Goch on the better day is the same as doing Tryfan on the better day.

GrahamD 17 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

I'd say that getting the thing organised between a bunch of you is tough enough (any support drivers or vehicles left at strategic points for food or dropping out, for instance) without contemplating changing the direction of travel as well !  Having done it a couple of times each way, my personal preference is N-S with the finale on Snowdon.

I don't think I've ever been up or down Tryfan N Ridge, preferring the 'easy path' to/from Ogwen cottage to Bwlch Tryfan and the much shorter S Ridge.

TimmyP 17 Apr 2018

Cheers all. Much appreciated. Keep it coming!

Re: Tryfan. Seeing as we are spreading it out over a couple of days, I'd like to do the North Ridge for an added fun factor but it's all weather dependant of course.  We have 3 cars between 5 of of us so plenty of flexibility in terms of logistics to swap plans at short notice.

Just looked at the map again........... If we did do Tryfan as an extra on the same day as the Carneydd's, is it reasonable walking to get from Glyder Fach to Pen-y-pass direct across country on day 2? Llanberis - Eildr Fawr - Glyders - Bwlch Dwyglydion- Pen y Pass - horseshoe - Llanberis.....?  Has anyone got any experience of that?

Pero 17 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

> Cheers all. Much appreciated. Keep it coming!

> Re: Tryfan. Seeing as we are spreading it out over a couple of days, I'd like to do the North Ridge for an added fun factor but it's all weather dependant of course.  We have 3 cars between 5 of of us so plenty of flexibility in terms of logistics to swap plans at short notice.

> Just looked at the map again........... If we did do Tryfan as an extra on the same day as the Carneydd's, is it reasonable walking to get from Glyder Fach to Pen-y-pass direct across country on day 2? Llanberis - Eildr Fawr - Glyders - Bwlch Dwyglydion- Pen y Pass - horseshoe - Llanberis.....?  Has anyone got any experience of that?

This all depends how fit you are.  I would say that the Carneddau is a fairly big mountain day.  Are you sure you have the physical and mental energy for Tryfan N Ridge at the end of that? 

Unless you are all experienced scramblers, are you sure you are going to be safe when you are all potentially very tired?  I doubt it will be "fun" unless you are all really fit. 

WaterMonkey 17 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

For those who have done this non-stop how physically fit do you need to be would you say? Is it mainly just switching off the complain button and getting through it?

Edit: Assuming you're just walking it and not trying to break the world record!

Post edited at 16:05
 steveriley 17 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

> is it reasonable walking to get from Glyder Fach to Pen-y-pass direct across country on day 2?

Don't be tempted to straight line it - that's horrid. I'd be tempted to take the Pen y Gwryd path and cut across to the Llyn when you've lost enough height.

GrahamD 17 Apr 2018
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Better than average hill walker fitness I'd say, having being with people who were regular hill walkers who could not finish due to fatigue or blisters.  Its also pretty essential not to waste time getting lost (although I guess GPS would help these days).

I know very fit people go on about sub 12 hours, but in reality its likely to be closer to 18 hours.  Aim to stick to Naismiths pace.

TimmyP 17 Apr 2018
In reply to steveriley:

Thanks, Steve. Sound advice I am sure.

Pero - Can I answer the fitness question after next week?  We should be ok. And anyway, we're all pretty sensible and not against the clock at all. If we aren't up to it, we'll give it a miss and come back to fight another day.

In terms of pace I thought about 9/10 hours per day with some sarnie stops so it sounds about right.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave the Rave 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Pero:

You are coming across as a bit quarrelsome.

> The round of the the 3,000ers does not necessarily involve Tryfan N Ridge.  It didn't when I did them.

Correct but the fella is planning on the north ridge with no prior underfoot knowledge.

> In any case, since Crib Goch and Tryfan are to be done on the same say, doing Crib Goch on the better day is the same as doing Tryfan on the better day.

That is correct. I’ve not mentioned Crib Goch but stated that the good weather day might best be saved for the Tryfan day after the Carneddau?

mxd321 18 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

Interesting to hear some of the replies on here. I'm planning on doing the Welsh 3000s this summer in a single day from North to South. I find the prospect of finishing on Snowdon more appealing than finishing over the Carneddau. Also, I know Glyders and Snowdon Massif very well, so want to do the more unknown Carneddau first when my mind is fresher. 

SouthernSteve 18 Apr 2018
In reply to mxd321:

North to south is nice - but, as I think someone said above, you need you mind set on finishing as you come off Elidir fawr as I found that very hard. 

In reply to TimmyP:

> If we did do Tryfan as an extra on the same day as the Carneydd's, is it reasonable walking to get from Glyder Fach to Pen-y-pass direct across country on day 2? Llanberis - Eildr Fawr - Glyders - Bwlch Dwyglydion- Pen y Pass - horseshoe - Llanberis.....?  Has anyone got any experience of that?

Yes. That would make the second day a lot easier.

The Bwlch y ddwy glydion (Waun gron) route is nice enough, but (as the map suggests) there isn't much of a path there - you basically contour from the flat area at Waun gron back round the side of Glyder Fawr to meet the "Red Dots" path that descends Glyder fawr to the back of the Youth hostel.

I have done the direct descent from Waun gron to Cwmffynnon several times and I agree with Steveriley it is not pleasant!

The miners path down to PyG hotel is a much more obvious path, but adds a bit of distance and about 100m more renascent unless you contour round past Cwmffynnon from there (which can be boggy).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned above that you may or may not be aware of is that the bridge over the Afon dudodyn on the route from nant Peris up to Elidir is currently not there - it was washed away after a mudslide a few months ago and negotiations are under way to replace it.  

TimmyP 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks, Ron. You’re a legend. I didn’t know about the bridge and the advice on Glyder is much appreciated too. 

If we do go up Eildr Fawr from Llanberis, is it easy to pick a way through the slate mines? There doesn’t seem an obvious path on the map but I’ve seen it suggested that access is ok. 

llechwedd 19 Apr 2018
In reply to TimmyP:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB519GB586&q=elidir+fawr+... http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=20160.0 This should give you enough to work it out. It #s a little out of date but holds true mostly. Don't go expecting to find the building with the abandoned clothing in though. vandals have ruined that.

Going up the incline though, it is like unstable slate scree in a few places, and the steps are awkwardly arranged and covered in 'gravel' in others-It;s fine if you're used to it, but if you're taking a group,... hmm? I'd recce it first.. p.s. they're slate quarries, not mines. Tourists call them 'mines'

(edit- 4 hours out of general anaesthetic so apols for the typos etc)

Post edited at 20:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...