Wast Water wild camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 16 Apr 2018

Has anyone camped in Low Wood at the southern edge of Wastwater. 

We’re only interested in doing it if it won’t adversely affect the local people and environment. It looks kind of big and dense though, both from driving alongside it in the past, and looking at satellite images. So I wonder if respectful low-impact camping can be pulled off there. 

Orherwise we’ll head up to the fells to camp where the National Trust have issued implied permission. 

EDIT: the forum wouldn’t let me post with the word “Wastwater”. It said “please don’t use swear words in your post title”. The Scunthorpe effect?

Post edited at 10:14
 rilem 16 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Best thing you can do is delete this and go and find out  for yourself,  because all you are doing is highlighting somewhere that that all of a sudden is not off the radar, and will be trashed by idiots less respectful than you.

Dark-Cloud 16 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

No idea about the wood, i would suspect its privately owned maybe ?

As you have mentioned the NT guidelines is it not worth following them anyway ?

Ridge 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I think Low Wood is private land, hence there's a permissive path, rather than a public path running through it.

In reply to MikeMarcus:

My information is 10 years old from when I used to live in the valley. 

Low wood is owned by the national trust and there is a NT office on the edge of the wood, so staff around who will tell you to move on if they see you.

However if I wanted to I would bivvy/camp there for 1 night but would pitch up late, pack up early in the morning and leave no trace. 

Having a camp up during the day or leaving any trace would not be on in my opinion and would quite likely be spotted. If you want to stay more than one night use the NT campsite at wasdale head, the nice site at Santon bridge right next to the pub, or the cheaper more basic site near the wasdale head Inn. All those sites are less than 4 miles from low wood.

deepsoup 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Ridge:

The reply above, from mountain.martin, strikes me as wise.

But regarding this bit of your post:

> hence there's a permissive path, rather than a public path running through it

I don't think the status of the path tells you anything really, the great majority of public footpaths, bridleways etc. run across private land also.

Mike Peacock 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Ridge:

It's access land with a RoW around the edge:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NY1404

I'm not condoning the OP's suggestion, mind.

*edit* Though looking at the map inbuilt into that page shows a black line. Clicking to launch the map shows a RoW. Is it a therefore a relatively new RoW?

Post edited at 14:42
 felt 16 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Beautiful bluebells. Quite a wet wood for camping, not recommended.

Urban Warrior 17 Apr 2018

Isn't the whole of Wastwater a SSSI?

The reason I think this is....several years ago my girlfriend and I traipsed off from Sheffield up to the Lakes for a weekend backpacking (I planned to propose somewhere remote).  Anyway we got rained off and it was a bit unpleasnt getting off the hill. We drove round to Wastwater and set-up camp somnewhere on the NW shore.

I made the most of it and proposed. Early the next morning (with my wife to be sporting a charming flower crown) the NT ranger turned up and asked to move on as we were camping in a SSSI...

Rigid Raider 17 Apr 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

*cough* couldn't you have stayed on the basis that you were conducting, er, scientific research?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...