Welsh 3000's in reverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lee birtwistle 12 Apr 2018

Hi all

Has anybody done the Welsh 3000 challenge finishing at Snowdon.

Im looking at doing it from East to West as this can include some nice scrambling routes such as Tryfan, Bristly Ridge and the Parsons Nose.

Not too bothered about the 24 hour thing but should be doable.

99ster 12 Apr 2018
In reply to lee birtwistle:

The 'The Welsh Three Thousand Foot Challenges: A Guide for Walkers and Hill Runners' book is worth getting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welsh-Three-Thousand-Foot-Challenges/dp/1902017021...

wilkie14c 12 Apr 2018

yes, i’ve done this and thought it was more of a ‘climbers’ route as you can pick your route up tryfan, do bristly ridge and finally crib goch. We used 2 cars and left one at the tryfan campsite and went round to the start in the other. Drove round to the start of the route at the north end and walked the first section dropping off pen y olwen to the campsite and first car. then drove back to the start and got the first car, both cars then to the llanberis pass, dropped one off there and then back to the tryfan campsite. we climbed grooved arête and bivvyed in the south col.next morning was bristly ridge for breakfast and was on crib goch by early afternoon having dropped off all our bivvy gear when we passed the other car we left in the pass. topped out on snowden then dropped into the pass and other car.

True it was a bit of faffing but bivvy gear was only carried when we needed it and food and water easy to replenish.

Post edited at 15:31
 airborne 12 Apr 2018

The Chester Mountaineering Club does it this way en masse every year, as the club hut is on the way off Snowdon.

GrahamD 12 Apr 2018

I've done it both ways and I think this is the better way, to be honest.  The undulating miles at the beginning don't feel so bad and Snowdon makes a great finale.

Matt Podd 12 Apr 2018

Yes, Walked up from Bethesda in the dark and got a lift back from Llanberis. 11hrs solo on a beautiful day - even got a pint in at the Vaynol before Crib Goch, then lots of beer in the Padarn.

PaulJepson 12 Apr 2018

Yeah it's a lot better from North to South I reckon, although a little tricky to get to/from the start if you're not getting dropped off. I did it last year. Really nice and quiet at the start.

A bit of an anti-climax topping out on Snowdon among the crowds though. 

> Im looking at doing it from East to West

East-West could be interesting! 

I find the psychological aspect of North-South to be an issue - from Glyder Fach onwards you're staring at the massive reascent from Nant Peris to Crib Goch and this always seems (even) worse than PyOW on the usual route, especially coming so late in the day. 

GrahamD 13 Apr 2018
In reply to PaulJepson:

> A bit of an anti-climax topping out on Snowdon among the crowds though. 

That depends on when you set off and how fast you are, though.

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Totally agree but hopefully not going all the way up the pass from Nant Perris. Looking to do the Parsons Nose then a quick left to Crib Goch and then back towards Snowdon. Looking at the full moon dates to get a bit of light in the evening.

Hoping to get to top of Snowdon before the crowds turn up then down to Beddgelert via Rangers path.

PaulJepson 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

You have a nice chill road walk for about 3km though before the reascent. Or further if you want to take an easier route up Snowdon. 

static266 13 Apr 2018

Yes and I think it's better. Started in Bethesda and summited Carnedd Uchaf first with a quick out-and-back to Foel Fras, traversed the Carneddau, North Ridge of Tryfan and the scree gully to the left of Bristly Ridge. Then the standard Glyderau traverse descending to Nant Peris then into Cwm Glas and up the North Ridge of Crib Goch to the final summits. Quite an easy and familiar walk down your Snowdon path of choice then.

mbh 13 Apr 2018

Done it NS twice. (failed it SN twice too. Oops!)  When you've come down off Elidir Fawr, it is a huge temptation to just give up, as we did, once, but there is also the feeling that, well, you've come all that way, so might as well continue. When we actually did, we went up to the col, via the not-col (more oops),  got hit by a blast of wind, traversed the pinnacles to the high point of Crib Goch, then reversed, missed the obvious ridge we should have taken, (yet more oops, but by then we were very tired) but got it again and somehow got to the end. 

For me, the hardest part of any long "easy" route is the beginning. Doing the 3000s NS you get lots of easy miles under your belt quickly, which is a big win. On one of our SN fails, we didn't even conquer Mount Snowdon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...