My plan to propose to my GF in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 12 Apr 2018

I’m planning to propose to my girlfriend in a few weeks time. Ring and hotel all sorted. Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge onto St. Sunday Crag, get her to have a look for a GeoCache [that won’t exist], while I sleight-of-hand my own “geocache” box (containing photos, messages, ringbox, etc) under a cairn stone, have her find it while I’m kneeling down next to her and pop the ring from my pocket.

We’ll both be content on P-Ridge, but if anyone has any better scramble or multi-pitch route ideas with a nice top-out or ideas for a wet-weather alternative, I would love any advice/ideas.

mountainbagger 12 Apr 2018
In reply to lewismansell:

> I’m planning to propose to my girlfriend in a few weeks time. Ring and hotel all sorted. Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge onto St. Sunday Crag, get her to have a look for a GeoCache [that won’t exist], while I sleight-of-hand my own “geocache” box (containing photos, messages, ringbox, etc) under a cairn stone, have her find it while I’m kneeling down next to her and pop the ring from my pocket.

Hi Lewis, it's me!!! That is so sweet - you are such a thoughtful bf!

I will try and act surprised, but just wanted you to know how excited I am about this!!!

I can think of one wet-weather alternative too...if you know what I mean

Lusk 12 Apr 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Hi Lewis, it's me!!!

Bit of a cougar, eh?

Maybe take her up Lord's Seat as well?

petegunn 12 Apr 2018

Napes Needle?

Been done before but I don't think the ring was left ontop before the ascent so that it was found as she topped out onto the summit block.

Removed User 12 Apr 2018

Sounds like a lovely idea. If you want to keep it a surprise, the best way to keep it secret is to post about it on a widely read public forum under your own name.

Baron Weasel 12 Apr 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> I can think of one wet-weather alternative too...if you know what I mean

The Lake District is a great place for watersports if that's what you mean?

OP rockwing 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Luckily I have never introduced her to UKC (aka Mos Eisley Spaceport...)

marsbar 12 Apr 2018

How lovely.

On the theme of making the site of your proposal memorable, you could also check out the times of boats on Ullswater or Derwentwater; they might work in wet weather and I'd guess that there aren't too many people who've had marriage proposals in the middle of a lake.  Throw in a picnic, a bottle of champagne and some plastic cups and you could have a celebration picnic before walking or getting the boat back.

T.

FactorXXX 12 Apr 2018

>  Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge.

Steady on! You're not even engaged yet, let alone married!

GrahamD 12 Apr 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

> >  Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge.

> Steady on! You're not even engaged yet, let alone married!

Its not going to happen after they're married, is it ?

bouldery bits 12 Apr 2018

That sounds awesome. Best of luck mate!

Danm79 12 Apr 2018

Bloody hell, what's wrong with me - I read the title as "My plan to dispose of my girlfriend in the lake... "

Yours sounds a much nicer idea.

tehmarks 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Danm79:

Gotta keep off those drugs, they're not good for you!

Post edited at 00:26
 j.anstee 14 Apr 2018

Don’t bother mate and save your money for some new kit and come climbing with us! ????

I proposed to my girlfriend (now my wife) on Crib Goch in winter conditions. It all went really well, produced ring, down on one knee etc. but I needed a wee afterwards (not massively romantic) so I undid the waist belt of my pack and my camera pouch fell off and rolled down a snowfield. I then glissaded after it swearing loudly leaving my GF wondering what she'd signed herself up for.

Root1 15 Apr 2018

Lewis its blokes like you that give the rest of us guys a bad name. 

jonnie3430 15 Apr 2018

Put a lit one of these in the box of it's a cold day, you get lots of points.

jk25002 15 Apr 2018

For an alternative scramble, you could look at SE face of Ill Crag. Brilliant long scramble with a very definite/sudden arrival at the summit cairn. You'll almost certainly have the scramble to youselves, and probably the summit too.

alx 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> Maybe take her up Lord's Seat as well?

I don’t know why it doesn’t seem to be very popular. Anyway the lady should be pleased when presented with a nice shiney ring.

birdie num num 15 Apr 2018
In reply to alx:

> I don’t know why it doesn’t seem to be very popular. Anyway the lady should be pleased when presented with a nice shiney ringpiece.<

Mrs Num Num certainly is. She says it makes a very pleasant change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...