Hardy but family friendly camcorder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Recs500 11 Apr 2018

Help! I want to buy a camcorder that is in-between a normal family cam and an action camera- does this exist? 

-would like to shoot traditional family clips (school plays/children playing etc) and be able to upload these easily as a single video (without having to stitch clips together). Ideally it would have a viewing screen 

-also needs to withstand the dust of Africa (where we live) / children dropping it etc

-a bonus if it is waterproof and could cope with more adventurous type things (kayaking/ swimming etc)- but this is probably less important than the first 2 asks as we will probably use this more as a day-to-day

so far all I have found is super trendy action cams or traditional camcorders but something in-between would be great for us. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rebecca 

Dark-Cloud 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Recs500:

I am always wary of these type of posts, first time poster with a very specific set of questions worded almost like a specification for a product that already exists (or is about to) feels like its a lead in to something !

Anyway, putting my naturally suspicious mind to one side for the moment, just use a GoPro, can't see why you would want anything else really. It meets 2 out of your 3 requirements, waterproof and dust proof, as for the other one you really wouldn't want a video camera to spit out one large file anyway, it would make editing or finding specific shots a pain.

Post edited at 12:58
 The Lemming 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Recs500:

How about a water resistant phone with good camera/movie features.
That ticks every box for you.

Dark-Cloud 11 Apr 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> and be able to upload these easily as a single video (without having to stitch clips together)

Hmmm, not seen a phone do that, or anything for that matter

The Lemming 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> > and be able to upload these easily as a single video (without having to stitch clips together)

> Hmmm, not seen a phone do that, or anything for that matter

OK then, howabout a VHS camcorder.  Everything gets saved as a continuous clip with no stitching.  Some even have electronic eye viewfinders which ticks the box for a small screen.

Wrap the camera within a plastic bag to keep the dust out and most of the boxes are ticked.

Dark-Cloud 13 Apr 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Good shout, now we just need the spamming trolling OP to reappear and tell us that will do the trick for them !

petestack 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I am always wary of these type of posts, first time poster with a very specific set of questions worded almost like a specification for a product that already exists (or is about to) feels like its a lead in to something !

Alternative view... first-time poster has been looking for 'photography' forums, found this one, thought it looked suitable given her outdoor interests, and asked what she's hoping to find out?

bouldery bits 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Recs500:

Get a Go Pro. 

They're well good.

Recs500 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks everyone -think I might investigate the phone option or the camcorder and a plastic bag unless anyone has any other suggestions. 

just to confirm I'm not a troll/ spammer! Just live overseas and expecting a baby so wanting a camera to fit our needs. Have really struggled to find one in a store and have not had much luck researching online (stores seem to group cameras into 'action cameras' and 'traditional camcorders' and we were looking for something in-between). So yes- a first time poster but someone who is just hoping for advice.

Will research go pro some more but have been kind of put off as it's quite techy; I really wanted something pretty simple to upload (editing will be super basic and needs to be quick- hence one long clip is preferable)

Anyway, thank you all very much for taking the time to help me.

The Lemming 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Recs500:

> Will research go pro some more but have been kind of put off as it's quite techy;

Go Pro's are quite expensive and other companies have caught them up for quality while keeping the price considerably lower.

These days a good phone will give you excellent movie results.  In fact a few film makers have shot entire projects on phones alone.

Blue Straggler 16 Apr 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> In fact a few film makers have shot entire projects on phones alone.

If you are talking about full feature films made for cinematic presentation, then it's not quite "phones alone" and more like "phones and professional set ups including studio lighting and reflectors etc. plus high-end post-production image grading"

I predict a dislike at about 8.50am

In reply to The Lemming:

> OK then, howabout a VHS camcorder.  Everything gets saved as a continuous clip with no stitching.  Some even have electronic eye viewfinders which ticks the box for a small screen.

> Wrap the camera within a plastic bag to keep the dust out and most of the boxes are ticked.

You really don't suit the whole "making funny/clever/sarcastic posts" thing. Keep trying though. You will get there.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Anyway, putting my naturally suspicious mind to one side for the moment, just use a GoPro, can't see why you would want anything else really.

Fixed ultra wide angle might be an unwanted constraint especially trying to film kids 

IF that WEREN'T a problem then I wonder whether this might be better?
(disclaimer - I have zero experience of the Olympus, and very limited experience of Go Pro)
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/to-st-helens-and-back-olympus-tg-tracker-s...

Mr. Lee 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Recs500:

A lot of regular cameras have serious video capabilities as well, in case you also like to take pictures. I personally wouldn't bother with a dedicated camcorder for that reason, unless it was a Go-Pro. The Sony Alpha series cameras always used to have serious video capabilities but others have probably closed the gap. 

d_b 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

The only downside of that is that many cameras limit the recording in order to avoid being classified as a camcorder.  I think the limit is something like 30 minutes so not usually a problem.

The Lemming 16 Apr 2018
In reply to d_b:

My camera has unlimited recording.  Well only limited by the battery and SD card size.  I think the 30 minute limit is because some cameras over hear and have to shut down after 30 minutes.

Its also water/dust resistant, and can withstand a knock or two.  However I don't think that I would let a small child hold it if they were prone to dropping an expensive camera.  Expensive for me, that is.

And as for continuous clips with no editing, I still maintain that VHS camcorders or camcorders with a cassette of some sort ticks that box.

d_b 16 Apr 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Cameras manufactured outside the EU used to be subject to a 4.9% import duty if they can record more than 30 minutes out of the box.  Not sure if it is the case now but it was around 2010ish.

Post edited at 10:41
 Mr. Lee 16 Apr 2018
In reply to d_b:

Is that 30 minutes continuous recording or just 30 minutes total? Surely you could just swap the SD card to overcome this? I've not done much video recording but I imagine that I'd be running out of card space anyway by 30 minutes if shooting in HD?

d_b 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Continuous.  You don't need to swap the SD card or anything like that.

Post edited at 11:27
 jethro kiernan 16 May 2018
In reply to Recs500:

I would really consider a camera, Panasonic do some micro 4/3 that have become a benchmark for camera based video, suplement this with an action cam off amazon, Yi will fit the bill .

You will then have access to top class photos, video and action camera. I wouldnt worry about record time as a parent I wouldnt inflict 30 minutes continous footage of my child on anyone

thesachinbhatt 10 Jun 2018
In reply to Recs500:

Your question is quite hard to answer, but if i was on your place then i should have gone for the latest GoPro HERO6 or the budget and best GoPro HERO5. I am personally using the GoPro HERO5 and it works great for daily uses. But you haven't mentioned any specific price for your camera, so if your budget is quite low then there are options too.

Xiaomi Mijia 

MGcool Explorer Pro2

SJAM SJ7 STAR

EKEN H9R Action Camera 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...