Pembroke Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 11 Apr 2018

I'm going down to Pembroke today to climb Thurs - Sun.

I've never managed to co-ordinate weather, bird bans and tides with when I'm available so have only climbed at St. David's before.

I'm trying to work out where I can actually climb. The bird ban bit and tides I can cope with but the firing range bit isn't as clear.

The firing range info says the road from Bosherton to St. Govans is open Thurs and Fri but the road to Stack Rocks is closed.

My interpretation of that is that I can climb anywhere from St. Govans and east thereof (i.e. St Govans to Mother Carey's) on those days but not on crags to the west.

1) Is that correct?

2) Firing is scheduled to stop at 4:30 so presumably I can go west of St.Govans after that?

3) Can I climb anywhere west of St.Govans as far as Flimston Bay on Sat and Sun?

All the above is subject to bird bans and tides of course.

Thanks for your help.

d_b 11 Apr 2018
In reply to pec:

In areas where specific sections of cliff are bird banned the areas to avoid are marked with red concrete "plant pots". 

The national park rangers can give you more information about bans etc.  Their contact details are on this page.  http://www.pembrokeshirecoast.wales/default.asp?PID=356

Wil Treasure 11 Apr 2018
In reply to pec:

> My interpretation of that is that I can climb anywhere from St. Govans and east thereof (i.e. St Govans to Mother Carey's) on those days but not on crags to the west.

Correct. You'll be able to climb on Trevallen, St Govan's (inc East) and then areas around Stackpole and Mowing Word (but lots of bird banned areas to check). Mother Carey's and the area around is always open, with limited bird bans.

> 2) Firing is scheduled to stop at 4:30 so presumably I can go west of St.Govans after that?

They sometimes stop earlier, especially on Friday in my experience. Keep an eye on the flags and ask at the gate, but yes, in principle you should be able to access the range on Friday evening.

> 3) Can I climb anywhere west of St.Govans as far as Flimston Bay on Sat and Sun?

Yes, you'll be able to climb anywhere from St Govan's to Stack Rocks on both days.

Pembroke bird bans and tides sound confusing on first acquaintance, but in practice the bird bans aren't a big issue and there are loads of non-tidal venues both in the range and out.

Post edited at 11:37
OP pec 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Wil Treasure:

Thanks for confirming that. Just got to hope the weather stays dry now, all my previous attempts to climb there have been a wash out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...