Gr10 stages in mid-April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 speculoos 08 Apr 2018

In short: Can anyone recommend a couple of stages of the GR10 that will be good to walk in mid April without the risk of heavy snow/impassible sections?

Longer explanation... I’m aware that best time to do the route is June-September because of snow, but I’m wondering if there are some sections (perhaps not the highest mountain passes!) that can be walked in spring without getting a dump of snow!

My partner and I have a week or so set aside, we’re fit and experienced, and would love a challenge. Currently in Siurana with our van but heading to Ax-Le-Thermes next week, so ideally want a stage that we can walk and get public transport back (or vice versa) to the van (doesn’t have to be Ax though..) 

We have everything we need to camp in cold-ish weather (have used the same set up in Norway in about -3), but we’d love to stay in a few refuges if possible!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Post edited at 11:15
 martin09 08 Apr 2018
In reply to speculoos:

snow in Ariege is currently around 1700m and above.  snow is forecast (maybe actually falling now) down to lower levels during the coming week which is forecast to have warmish conditions with rain / snow all week.  The older snow is very heavy and wet and does not support walking whether with snowshoes or just boots.  There has been heavy snow this year and so depths at altitude are relatively deep. Some faces and cretes have been scoured but it is difficult to rely on this.  What I am saying that I think any walking at the moment and in the coming 10 days or so is going to be hard work and not much fun due to the condition of the snow. If you can stay below the snow line and you find good weather (which will not be until after next weekend at the earliest according the forecasts) then there could be glorious views of snow covered peaks.  Sorry to be a bit pessimistic and I know this does not directly answer the question about 'stages of the GR10'.

goatee 08 Apr 2018
In reply to speculoos:

Why not head to Banyuls sur Mer and do a few sections of the route from the coast. Should be snow free as far as Amelie les Bains. Wonderful views. I did that section in December five or six years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...