Recommend me an “Anthropology for Dummies” book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 07 Apr 2018

Sorry I could not fit the word “please” into the long thread title.

I have a passing recreational interest in how humans have recurring behavioural patterns etc, but I’ve only picked up soundbite and headline information. I am keen to read a proper “introductory” or “layman’s overview” book on human anthropology. Something fairly easy to read, maybe in the style of a Malcolm Gladwell offering (eg topics described by illustrating them with anecdotes)

I am talking about things such as “the one younger brother of one older sister tends to display these traits whereas the younger brother of two elder sisters tends to display these other different traits”, and “matriarchal dominance over the family home is prevalent in hot countries because of....” (these are totally made up examples btw)

I am currently less interested in the quantitative psychology side of things (Myers-Briggs etc). Looking for a more “warm and fuzzy” sort of thing

thanks

wilkie14c 07 Apr 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The holy bible

tom 07 Apr 2018

Perhaps not quite what your looking for, but Tim Ingold is well worth an explore.  He reads easily and sets out (I think) a very progressive understanding of anthropology.  

Doug 07 Apr 2018

Again, maybe not quite what you asked for, but part of my reading list for a course I took on anthropology (late 70s) was 'Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches: The Riddles of Culture' by Marvin Harris. No doubt dated but an interesting read if still available.

Stichtplate 07 Apr 2018

Don't know if this is quite what you're looking for but it's a great book and the author is very readable as well as being a respected academic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behave-Biology-Humans-Best-Worst/dp/009957506X/ref...

I wouldn't have believed that the social interactions of baboons would be something that could cause me to well up, until I read his 'A primates memoir'.

Edit: says a lot when you get people of the calibre of Henry Marsh and Oliver Sacks singing his praises.

Post edited at 17:37
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Weirdly I didn’t dare to check whether such a thing exists because for some irrational reason I didn’t want it to! Ta

Removed User 07 Apr 2018
In reply to tom:

> Perhaps not quite what your looking for, but Tim Ingold is well worth an explore.  He reads easily and sets out (I think) a very progressive understanding of anthropology.  

I'll second that. Ingold is a superb communicator and an unfettered but grounded thinker.

OP: The Anthropological Lens by James Peacock is an easy and quick read and Ruth Benedict's Pattern's of Culture is a classic albeit quite old now. I did two years of Social Anthropology at Uni but it's over 20 years ago now. If anything else pops into my head I'll post.

I don't know if there is a Social Anthropology title in "The Very Short Introduction To" series of books which I think are brilliant.

Post edited at 19:03

I am bowled over the amount of fast and knowledgeable responses! Thanks all, I’ll see what I can find out about each book/author suggested and try to gauge which might suit my “tastes” best.

and I’ll let you know what I chose and whether I get on with it

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...