USB connection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 05 Apr 2018

USB connection. It's how we connect our devices, why are they so flimsy? Make them a centimetre deeper and they would be so much better. 

snoop6060 05 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Apart from the fact everyone wants shit thats thinner, smaller, lighter. Literally in my case. Piles is a right PITA. 

Post edited at 20:21
 Blue Straggler 05 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

A cm deeper and you would still be begging for another cm

wilkie14c 06 Apr 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> A cm deeper and you would still be begging for another cm

i’ve heard that a few times

OP aln 06 Apr 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Naughty boy

Luke90 06 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

I think the logic would be that if the USB connection gets pulled by a reasonably large force, it's safer for the device to unplug rather than being really solidly connected.

Have you used USB C yet? It's a much improved connector.

timjones 06 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

IME it would be more accurate to say that there are too many poor quality USB cables on the market.

Neil Williams 06 Apr 2018
In reply to timjones:

Indeed.  USB is designed so the "spring" is on the plug which makes the sockets last longer (a very good design decision as cables are cheaper than replacing sockets which may be soldered to the board), so poor cables often give the impression that the socket is bad when it isn't.

Post edited at 10:39
 David Riley 06 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

USB has been very successful and cheap. So much better than the RS232 it replaced. A 25 pin connector for just serial data.  Mostly a pain, it did have one advantage. The connections were effectively outside the box. This is better for stopping water and mechanical damage. So no I don't think connectors should be deeper. In fact they would be better not intruding into the equipment.

OP aln 09 Apr 2018
In reply to timjones:

It's not the cable that's the problem, it's the connector on the end of the cable. 

timjones 09 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

That's what I mean, poor quality leads tend to have poor quality plugs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...