Obstructing Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 03 Apr 2018

Our neighbour, who is not particularly communicative, runs a part time business from home. He sells bought in domestic goods on ebay.

Every so often he has a palletised delivery usually while he is at (full time) work. These invariably come in an HGV. His front gate is at right angles to our drive access and the vehicles reverse up to it in order to unload. In doing so they effectively block access to our drive. Thus far we have been tolerant.

In the last week he has had four deliveries, three of which have coincided with one or the other of us needing access in or out of our drive.

I feel it should be a matter of courtesy that our neighbour should inform his delivery drivers, or at least their companies, that they should not obstruct access to our driveway. They could easily reverse further into his driveway thus avoiding any obstruction to ours. Sadly courtesy is a quality that our neighbour is rather short of.

Am I entitled to ask him to ensure that the drivers ensure access. On a couple of occasion I have, due to neighbour's absence asked the drivers themselves to allow me access but I feel the neighbour needs to be more aware of the situation.

Alan M 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

Surely it is an intermittent issue and only happens for minutes at a time? Is it the same delivery driver or same delivery company each time?

My neighbour opposite often has visitors who park outside his property but opposite my gates (opposite side of the road to my gates).  When a car is parked there I can't get my car off the drive or turn on to it from the road.  I can't demand that he tells his visitors to not park on the road outside his house it is just a symptom of the estate layout that my driveway has limited access under certain situations.

I just park in the street and wait for his visitors to leave or knock on the door and advise them that I need to get my car off the drive.

Post edited at 20:11
 tehmarks 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

Come on. Have a word with (or a good shout at, if you feel the need) the driver - you can hardly blame your neighbour for someone else parking a vehicle across your drive, especially if he's not there and hasn't the first clue there's an issue/. If you're on the way in it's hardly an issue is it, just park on the street and put the car in your drive later on.

Obviously getting out is more of a problem, but speak to the driver. They're the twerp who parked the HGV across your drive.

Either way, it's hardly the world's biggest issue...

Post edited at 20:18
OP mypyrex 03 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

> Surely it is an intermittent issue and only happens for minutes at a time?

Not necessarily. On one of the recent occasions that I had to ask the driver to move his vehicle I had an appointment - admittedly local and of short duration. I returned half an hour later and the same vehicle was still there.

>Is it the same delivery driver or same delivery company each time?

No

alx 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

If your neighbor is not at home, how does he control the delivery drivers? 

If it’s only temporary then don’t sweat it, they will move. If you need access right that moment just ask them to shift. 

Alan M 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

> Not necessarily. On one of the recent occasions that I had to ask the driver to move his vehicle I had an appointment - admittedly local and of short duration. I returned half an hour later and the same vehicle was still there.

> >Is it the same delivery driver or same delivery company each time?

> No

In both of those for me it would be speak to the delivery driver.  If it is different drivers each time are you sure that they can reverse further down his drive and still unload?  The neighbour isn't to blame any more so than my neighbour who has visitors.  I can see it is annoying though as sometimes if I have a full boot for example and I have to park down the road a bit I huff and puff about my neighbours visitors as I'm lugging my stuff up and down the road.  In the grand scheme of things me not getting my car on the drive isn't a major issue.

Blue Straggler 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

You say the neighbour is not particularly communicative. Are you communicative with him or - more relevantly - the various delivery drivers ?

Fron what you’ve written, it seems not. Perhaps you can clarify and stop this wave of responses that don’t say what you want to hear

J1234 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

1. Do not fall out with a neighbour.
  2. Have a quiet word, maybe take a bottle of wine as a peace offering.
  3. If 2 does not work and its pissing you off, report to council that a business is being run in a residential area without PP, ask about insurance. But councils have so little cash, I doubt you will get anywhere.
  4. See 1.

Blue Straggler 03 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

In the interests of giving you a fair response - neither your neighbour nor any of the drivers’ companies will have any influence on specific positioning of a vehicle on a given delivery. I deal with TNT and UPS more regularly than you are inconvenienced by these sporadic deliveries and I can say from experience that the communication hierarchy is deliberately set up so that everyone is shielded from Joe Public’s complaints. Just ask drivers to move when required and put up with it the rest of the time

Deadeye 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

It's part of the conspiracy

Jon Greengrass 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

This has nothing to do with you neighbour, speak to the drivers nicely and they'll be happy to move so you can get out of your drive.

jkarran 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

The driver will have no connection to your neighbour, he'll just be a guy who drives pallets around all day for a company that another company that your neighbour's supplier pays to shift goods. If you need the truck moving, ask the driver nicely. Don't fall out with your neighbour over it.

jk

johncook 04 Apr 2018
In reply to J1234:

Telling the tax-man is often far more effective than telling the council. HMRC are always looking to get at people avoiding tax. If the guy has a full time job then he is already above the tax thresh-hold and so any profits he makes will be taxable!

jkarran 04 Apr 2018
In reply to johncook:

How does that get trucks to park considerately? Starting feuds with neighbours over trivia is daft!

jk

Blue Straggler 04 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

I saw a better version of that, on some big wooden gates in South London.

Painted on the gates was simply "NEVER PARK HERE", and I have a feeling that it was effective....

Blue Straggler 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

> Not necessarily. On one of the recent occasions that I had to ask the driver to move his vehicle I had an appointment -

Did the driver move the vehicle for you?

> I returned half an hour later and the same vehicle was still there.

Was the vehicle unattended upon your return and blocking any access?

summo 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I'd just show a little patience, chat to the driver. He is probably on a killer contract, flogging round 2 or 3 counties every day. He knows where best to park for the quickest drop, so he will be out of the way faster if you just let him get on with it. A decent driver, with tail lift and pallet truck couldn't or shouldn't possibly take more than 10-15mins even if there is a little paperwork. 

Jim Fraser 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I think your argument is largely with the people who built and approved your road. No modern residential streets are designed with real delivery vehicles or even bin collection vehicles in mind. The ICE and IHT are living in the 1930s as far as haulage vehicles are concerned so the related professional engineering is dire. Though urban delivery traffic is sometimes largely 3.5t vans, the default haulage vehicle for your new washing machine or pallet of wood pellets is an 18 tonner that is over 10m long plus tail-lift space. The default bin lorry these days is a 26 tonner with the manoeuvrability of a small tank. None of this works well because none of it is designed to work with the world as it actually exists.

Pete Pozman 04 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

Try not to let it get under your skin. Once you do you will never have any peace of mind . My motto is : if you don't care it doesn't hurt. 

So try not to care too much  

Blue Straggler 05 Apr 2018

Does anyone get the feeling that the OP is playing silent in the hope that he can kid us into thinking this was a troll, given that there is a practically unanimous response that hasn’t gone his way?

It seems poor form, for example, that he hasn’t answered a courteous question I posed (10:53 Wed)

Timmd 05 Apr 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm betting that it hasn't occurred to your neighbour that what is happening, is happening.

The best I can think of is moving your car to where it won't be blocked in (if safely possible) if you know you need to leave at a certain time that day, while sorting out a sign or some such.

Post edited at 01:51
In reply to Timmd:

> The best I can think of is moving your car to where it won't be blocked in (if safely possible) if you know you need to leave at a certain time that day, while sorting out a sign or some such.

Here is where I would draw the line. Mypyrex should not have to thinking along those lines. He has a driveway and deserves ready access from this driveway to the road. It would be less bconvenient for him simply to ask a driver to move (remember, in this thread he has not actually said that he’s been truly blocked in without the possibility of getting a driver to move)

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Sorry about the typo / absent word there

Timmd 05 Apr 2018

I see what you mean, to do with the principle, but sometimes it's easier to 'go around' a problem rather than against it. Thinking about my Dad who is a similar age and retired, and the OP's posts about what he gets up to, I'm thinking that the days when he needs to be somewhere for a certain are probably fewer than the days he doesn't need to be each week, and if the unloading onto takes 15 mins or so when it happens, it's the most immediate solution to his problem. Until he finds a better one, that is.  

Post edited at 19:28
 Tom Valentine 05 Apr 2018

Frankly I find it hard to believe that a post about being blocked in/out of your own property 's drive has had such a shoulder-shrugging response.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

I think the response has been due to 

a) the OP clearly seeking validation of his opinion that this is something his for which neighbour has some responsibility

b) the OP's lack of claiming that his access has ever truly been "blocked" any more than you get "blocked" by heavy traffic on the highway despite numerous requests to clarify this point

Post edited at 22:22
 Blue Straggler 07 Apr 2018

Regardless of the “water off a duck’s back” dislikes I am garnering, I am going to stick my neck out and say that mypyrex’s obstinate silence on this thread is rather impolite and if he ever complains (publicly or internally) about a lack of responses to similar queries in future, he’d do well to consider this.

In reply to mypyrex:

Have you ever truly been “blocked” from acces into or out of your driveway, by drivers delivering to your neighbour, for more than 4 minutes ?

deepsoup 07 Apr 2018

>  and if he ever complains (publicly or internally) about a lack of responses to similar queries in future..

^ A quote there from your complaint about a lack of responses to your responses.  How very 'meta'.

wercat 07 Apr 2018

are you doing this pro bono?

In reply to deepsoup:

> >  and if he ever complains (publicly or internally) about a lack of responses to similar queries in future..

> ^ A quote there from your complaint about a lack of responses to your responses.  How very 'meta'.

Almost but not quite. I am classing the dislikes I’ve garnered, as “responses”. Maybe some are from mypyrex but I was specifying (in the subtext ) a requirement for a written response from him.

Siward 07 Apr 2018

I don't think mypyrex has posted on any thread since Thursday evening, so it's just possible he's gone somewhere?

marsbar 07 Apr 2018
In reply to Siward:

Shock horror, perhaps he has taken advantage of the weather and gone *whispers* OUTSIDE.

In reply to Siward:

Thanks. I didn’t check that. I suppose I should also look at whether he stopped posting on Wednesday morning by which time numerous people had already tried to address the question of just how blocked he’d ever been. I also noticed his “there but for the grace of God” thread so perhaps he is also just taking some time off from UKC to have some contemplative moments.

I’ll now wait patiently for his return to this thread and will stop being quite so vituperative

In reply to marsbar:

> Shock horror, perhaps he has taken advantage of the weather and gone *whispers* OUTSIDE.

>

Filming his next trekking DVD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...