Easyjet bike carriage - extras in bike case?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JdotP 30 Mar 2018

Am flying with my bike for the first time next week, and have a question.  Easyjet state that no other items may be carried in the bike box / bag.  Do they actually check inside your bag though?

Ideally I would check in my sleeping bag too to use as padding.

Thanks

Bogwalloper 30 Mar 2018
In reply to JdotP:

Pad it out with soft stuff for sure. Check what the mximum weight allowed is and DON'T go over this.

Golden rule - shoes, pedals and one set of kit in your hand luggage incase the bike goes missing or arrives late you'll be able to rent a bike and still ride.

W

edit - don't put c02 cartridges in the box/bag. If they show on the x-ray they will be removed and whoever does the removing won't re-pack the box/bag correctly.

Post edited at 10:23
In reply to JdotP:

Lufthansa allow CO2 cartridges with permission. I believe KLM do too, but I can't find the info at present.
https://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf/74/media_1070298774.pdf

In reply to JdotP:

This took me about 30 seconds to find on the Easyjet website https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods
Sorry, this and the above reply should be to Bogwalloper
:~))

Post edited at 11:10
Bogwalloper 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Yes I know. Unfortunately it's not Easyjet who do the x-raying / removing stuff / shit re-packing once the bike has gone through to the other side.
Simply not worth the risk IMHO.

W

In reply to Bogwalloper:

I know.

There's nothing in the government guidelines preventing the carriage of CO2 cartridges.  The airlines say it's OK

but some jumped up jobsworth says no!
FFS!

PaulW 30 Mar 2018
In reply to JdotP:

flown lots with easy jet, always put all my cycling stuff in with the bike apart from helmet and co2.

the easy jet weight limit is generous. never had a problem

nniff 31 Mar 2018
In reply to JdotP:

Always pack the bike out wth stuff - tools in an old wash bag, travel track pump, spare tubeless sealant, DIY tubeless inflator etc.  Helmet usually not..  I don't take C02 any more - PITA with tubeless - less is more if you've got an oversize leak - I find that CO2 just blasts out, so I just take a mini-pump.  You're allowed 4 cylinders as hold or hand baggage.

Taking shoes helmet and pedals separately is a good idea, if there's anywhere to hire a bike...

Inflatable roof rack (for bike box on hire car) also goes inside box.  Sometimes a seasucker roof rack instead, depending on local arrangements, goes as hand baggage, just for the fun of unpacking it for a bemused security guard

Dave Cundy 31 Mar 2018
In reply to JdotP:

Taken my bike on easyJet flights four times, using a £10 transparent CTC plastic bag.  Not had any damage to date.  Have always left a 6 litre triangular frame bag on the bike, full of stuff and it's never raised an eyebrow at the x-ray machine.

As an aside, leave the tyres half inflated.  It helps protect them from knockd and it'd less work to inflate them.

Take care to protect the rear derailleur.  I unscrew the hanger and tie the derailleur to the frame, surrounded by pipe insulation.

The outsize baggage counter don't perform any checks (contents and weight) other than putting it through the x-ray machine.

john arran 31 Mar 2018
In reply to Dave Cundy:

I've never checked a bike in as luggage but have checked in plenty of other things, and a top tip is that the bag check-in might weigh the bag but then invariably they will tell you to take it to the outsize luggage belt, whereupon it's never weighed at all, just x-rayed for security. Between the two desks you can stuff as much crap as you like in the bag (assuming you're still able to lift it onto the belt!) confident that it won't be rejected as overweight.

OP JdotP 02 Apr 2018
In reply to JdotP:

Thankyou everyone for your replies and tips!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...