Road tubeless tyres knowledge please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 28 Mar 2018

So, road tubeless tyres.

Mavic UST ones.

Assuming they are inflated and seated properly in the rim, as per instructions, should one expect slow air leakage around the tyre/rim join before any sealant has been added?

The installation and seating all looks good but I don't want to start with the sealant if I haven't got stage one right.

Assistance s'il vous plait...

thepodge 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Siward:

Not your tyre / rim combo but I had slow air leakage or my road tubeless, I just added sealant and rolled it around the obvious leaks. all has been good ever since.

OP Siward 28 Mar 2018
In reply to thepodge:

Thanks. The sealant seems to have done the trick but I was unsure whether the tyres should be airtight without. It seems not... 

balmybaldwin 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Siward:

Not tried ust on a road bike, but on an MTB (with admittedly much lower pressures), when the rim is perfect (straight and very clean) a new UST tyre will go on so well that it won't leak at all and it'll be a bugger to get off again. In fact I rode my mtb a month before thinking "time to go tubeless" and discovering it didn't have any tubes or sealant.

Even the smallest amount of dirt or dink in the rim and it wont work without sealant

However I suspect at higher pressures or with thinner walls, a certain amount of seepage is expected. The tyes now on my mtb would leak a bit, but as soon as the sealant goes in it sorts it. 

Just remember to go for a small ride after adding sealant to really spread it well

Post edited at 19:14
 Jack_Lewin 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Siward:

Yes.

I work in a bike shop and pretty much all current Giant bikes come tubeless out of the box, dont even come with tubes.

We cant put sealant in til the bike is purchased so the bikes are on display with no sealant in and its a constant pumping up of tyres to keep them up. Without sealant you will loose air even with the tyre fuly seated, once sealant is in you should be all good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...