Lightweight waterproof shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 25 Mar 2018

Looking for a lightweight waterproof shell (jacket) for climbing/mountaineering/hillwalking but not sure what to go for.

Requirements:

Price Range: £70 - £150

Lightweight

Packable

The type that lives mainly at the bottom of your pack for about 8months of the year but can still withstand those really wet spring/summer days etc.

Breathable (to an extent i.e. acceptable for the price range)

I have tried a couple of jackets on but can't make my mind up.  To give an example of what I have looked at so far.  (I am not set on these jackets just stating them as examples).  

Alpkit Argonaut (cheapest) 

Alpkit Balance 

Rab Fuse II 

Rab Downpour Plus 

Any advice or recommendations ?

Thanks

Post edited at 17:54
 Doug 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Marmot Precip ? Very pleased with mine & the onl yreason I haven't bought another to replace the now several year old original is that they have changed the design of the pockets

OP Alan M 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Doug:

> Marmot Precip ? Very pleased with mine & the onl yreason I haven't bought another to replace the now several year old original is that they have changed the design of the pockets

Thanks, will check that out.  Looking at some reviews on the internet seems like it performs very well for the price.

Never owned anything by Marmot.  Do you know what the sizing is like compared to other names such as Rab or Berghaus? Rab Medium fits me very well.

IM 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Alpkit Gravitas? I have one and like it a lot. 185 grams (large). Have worn it in some grim wet weather and it stood up well. You would need to be careful with it if you wore it climbing though.

hbeevers 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Alpkit stuff has always been great for me, very like Rab for fit. Athletic with long arms. 

OP Alan M 25 Mar 2018
In reply to IM:

> Alpkit Gravitas? I have one and like it a lot. 185 grams (large). Have worn it in some grim wet weather and it stood up well. You would need to be careful with it if you wore it climbing though.

Not seen that jacket in person but browsed it online the specifications look fantastic for the price and weight but I think I might destroy it climbing...I'm not the most elegant climber!! 

OP Alan M 25 Mar 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

> Alpkit stuff has always been great for me, very like Rab for fit. Athletic with long arms. 

Never used any of their clothing items but I have other bits and pieces always been happy with the quality.  

HeMa 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Patagucci Alpine Houdini? Torrent shell? Inov8 stuff and other mountain running stuff. And about a dozen others.

In that price range, you are either loosing durability, or breathability (or lack of weight). So pic one that has a good fit, meaning visit shops.

I would have liked to like the Marmot Precip, at least the one I had was fittet for a 150kg 150cm T-Rex with hands around a beer bottle in length... Not that handy for climbing, so I got rid of it...

hbeevers 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I've actually got one that I use for running and a shell in the pack through summer. Great performance but definitely not for climbing/scrambling. Alpkit definition would be ideal though.

Or forget alpkit and just get a ME Lhotse/ tupilak. More money but bomb proof with proven performance.

TobyA 26 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Worth seeing what Decathlon sells at that budget. They do a light mountaineering shell for around 100 quid. 

Some you ask about were reviewed here https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/reviews/clothing_-_mountain/lightweight_wat...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...