Recommend me some waterproof trail running shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 22 Mar 2018

Yeah that's it really...

I presume if you want to go for a hike but you might want to run parts of it then hiking boots are less than ideal because they're so heavy etc.?

wbo 23 Mar 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:unless im going to have crampons on i very rarely wear traditional boots - trail running shoes work much better for me.

the problem with waterproof shoes is they might resis water going in but once it's in they don't let it out so well

its tough to recommend an exact shoe as I haven't seen your feet.  Go to a shop and try a ot on 

Wainers44 23 Mar 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:

I started trail running using Goretex lined innov8's. Expensive and heavy but the worst thing was losing most of the soles of both feet to blisters after 22 hours walking in pouring rain. The shoes filled with water and didn't ever drain!

After that i now just use non Goretex shoes and replace socks often. I only use innov8 as they fit me well so I don't bother to look at other brands.

If you are set on Goretex you could use standard shoes and sealskins socks....but hope your pockets are deep as they are expensive and don't last very long.

OP elliot.baker 23 Mar 2018

Interesting .... so you just get non-waterproof shoes and have wet feet all day then.... my mind is blown - but this does open up the market for me somewhat...!

SouthernSteve 23 Mar 2018

As above for the long race, but for shorter winter training I love my goretex shoes - Speedcross 4 - so much warmer when splashing around in the mud.

cathsullivan 23 Mar 2018

I tried waterproof running shoes many years ago but, as others have said, found that they just filled up with water then didn't drain.  It was very, very unpleasant and cold.  I was running a lot on moorland in those days though, so it was all pretty soggy - so maybe waterproof shoes would be OK in other situations.  Ever since then I've used running shoes that drain well combined with waterproof socks when it's cold.  It's loads better than trying to run with your feet inside two buckets of cold muddy water.

edunn 23 Mar 2018

Too smelly.

If you're desperate then get waterproof socks, but I wouldn't bother.

petestack 23 Mar 2018

> so you just get non-waterproof shoes and have wet feet all day then....

No. You get non-waterproof shoes and have dry (or dryish) feet most of the day because they drain and even wet socks dry quite quickly on warm feet. The problem, as others have pointed out, is cold, when wet feet in winter may be seriously cold feet and that's when different shoes and/or socks may really be worth considering.

neuromancer 23 Mar 2018

The only worthwhile waterproof running shoes are ones with built in gaiters. And then, only really on snow or for shorter runs.

Sportiva crossover or similar.

Otherwise as others have said, sack up and get slightly wet feet occasionally.

wbo 24 Mar 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:thats all true for running in the UK and it's wet conditions.  I have pAirs of the same show with and without Goretex and if for example, you go out one morning on long grass, in the woods and everything is damp, or theres some snow, then your feet will be warmer, drier in Goretex shoes.  But in bogs, very muddy conditions, or to keep rain out, not so good

The main question is why do you not want wet feet? If to help when in cold conditions, then try using neoprene socks (rooster are great) with normal trail shoes. Water drains well and what is left keeps warm.

If cold and snowy then the inov8 arctic tundra are ace!

If blister issues then better to have a well draining shoe and change good socks a few times

Phil1919 24 Mar 2018

Goretex lined inov8's take longer to dry as well. In most conditions you can keep your damp feet warm by running.

malk 24 Mar 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

and mine literally fell apart after a few months use. (not much  running tho) i wouldn't recommend innov8 for durability..

Ridge 24 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

> and mine literally fell apart after a few months use. (not much  running tho) i wouldn't recommend innov8 for durability..

I think it depends a lot on running style. I destroy Salomons, but Inov8 and even Hoka seem last much better for me.

Phil1919 25 Mar 2018
In reply to malk:

Yes, same here. I haven't had an issue with wear and tear with the innov8's.

wbo 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Phil1919: I just find them absolutely unwearable.  

Phil1919 25 Mar 2018
In reply to wbo:

Funny isn't it, but just to look at our feet tells me how different we all are!

Tricadam 25 Mar 2018

Echoing what others have said, the way well ventilated running shoes dry so effectively (if actually running!) even after a full immersion river crossing is pretty impressive. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...