Newbie, Mam Tor or Kinder Moorland Walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Angel 45 22 Mar 2018

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and so excited to be doing something completely different,  I'm looking to do a walk this weekend and bank holiday weekend but unsure which of the 2 to do first.

What does everyone think?

hbeevers 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Angel 45:

The ridgeline of Mam Tor is really attractive. I recently took some friends on their first "proper" walks along their in the snow and they absolutely loved it. Navigation is easy and Castleton is a really nice start/finish location.

The other good thing is the number of options to shorten/lengthen the walk depending on how people are doing.

phizz4 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Angel 45:

Park in Castleton. Walk up Cave Dale, go right towards Rowter Farm, cross the road, go past Windy Knoll, cross the road, walk up Mam Tor, follow the ridge to Lose Hill and then back to Castleton and have a cup of tea. On Kinder, park in Edale, go towards Grindsbrook but head off right up to Ringing Roger, follow the south rim of the plateau and descend either Crowden Clough or Jacaob's Ladder to Barber Booth then across fields to Edale and have a nice pint.

Jenny C 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Angel 45:

I would recommend mam tor as its easy navigation and as said above lots of options to shorten if needed.  Conditions permitting great views but be aware if its windy it will be very cold, also the Ridge can be very icy making walking treacherous after heavy snowfall. You can walk the full length of the Ridge then drop down into hope and walk back mostly along the river into castleton. 

I love kinder but you need to be confident with navigation as if the fog comes down it's easy to lose the paths and get very lost. Also arguably less pretty view wise.  

elliot.baker 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Angel 45:

I'd walk up Grindsbrook Clough from Edale and then have a fun walk/scramble up either "waterfall" (v. small) at the fork. Then go as far along Kinder plateau as you fancy enjoying the fun rock formations and drop down a suitable path (of which there are many) to loop back around. Or double back.

John Gresty 23 Mar 2018
In reply to Angel 45:

Personally I enjoy the Cavedale, Mam Tor,  walk as described above. The variation of geology encountered, giving limestone gorges and high soaring 'gritstone' ridges makes a striking contrast. Although I always prefer to start at the bottom of Mam Tor so that I can get a beer (or coffee if that is your preference) in Castleton at the half way point.

John

Post edited at 08:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...