Scarpa SL activ type boot for narrow feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liamhutch89 22 Mar 2018

I bought a pair of these from go outdoors last night in a size 9. They feel very comfortable on, but after wearing them round the house last night I've come to the realisation that my feet are a touch too narrow for them particularly at the heel. They don't come in an 8.5 but I don't know if that would work anyway. 

I'm hoping for some recommendations for similar boots with a narrower last. I live in Leeds so have access to go outdoors, cotswolds and snow and rock. Possibly open to 2nd hand offers! 

Gordonbp 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Are you saying your heel lifts inside the boot?

That will ease to a certain extent as the leather beds in, but rather than get some different boots, try a volume-reducing insole such as Greenfeet. Probably go to Cotswold and ask them. Go Outdoors are not the best at boot fitting...

OP Liamhutch89 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Gordonbp:

Yes my heel lifts a little and I was under the impression that it would get worse over time as the leather gives a little. I really like the boots I'm just worried that they might give me problems and then I'm out of luck returning them. 

They aren't massively too wide - as u say I didn't really notice it in the shop too much so perhaps insoles would work 

Gordonbp 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Liamhutch89:

One of the main reasons for the heel lifting is actually that the uppers are too stiff and don't flex with your foot movement. Once the uppers become less stiff, and move with your foot, then the heel should not lift as much, or even stop lifting at all.

If your heel is only lifting by a very small amount, then I would go for insoles....

In reply to Liamhutch89:

If you aren't happy with your boots, take them back.  Tweaks such as volume reducers, lacing patterns and the like can only do so much to improve the fit and with boots more than anything, it's important that they work to the point of anonymity, if that makes sense.

As someone with long, narrow, low volume feet, I know that fitting can be difficult; particularly when it comes to a boot stiff enough to take a walking crampon.  Before heading out to buy different boots, have a look at what's offered by Asolo that would suit your needs; Asolo generally use a narrowish last and I've always been happy with their fit.  You might also look at the AltBerg Mallerstang, which like all AltBerg boots should be available in different width fittings.

Having done your research and seen who in your area might stock what you're after, go shopping; in the afternoon, as your feet will change size a little through the day and what seems perfect at 10am might pinch at 4pm.  I've always had good boot fitting service at Cotswold and at George Fishers; others I'm sure can recommend both good and bad places.  

Good luck!

T.

In reply to Gordonbp:

Ok, thank you. I've done a bit of searching over old threads and it seems there are quite a few possible fixes to have a go at:

lacing techniques

tongue depressors

insoles

extra socks

I do really like the boots and got a great price with go outdoors' 'beat anything by 10%', so i'll keep them and make them work! 

cheers

hbeevers 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Liamhutch89:

If I were you I'd take a look at altberg. My girlfriend has incredibly narrow feet so we went for a fitting and she's ended up with some extra narrow fit boots that are spot on where "normal" brands couldn't get it right.

Otherwise wearing a thin liner sock under your normal ones and adding some super feet greens helps with my heel lift problems for winter boots, not ideal though.

Post edited at 10:45
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I’ve had Scarpa SLs for more than 30 yrs. They all have taken some time for the uppers to soften and mould to my ankles. The leather though is thinner now with the Activs so it’s quicker and easier to mould.

I have the activ also and although more comfortable out of the box it was surprising how the fit has much improved once the leather softened with use. Once mounded they are so comfortable and complete absence of any heel lift. 

If the general fit is right, if it was me I would give them time to soften. That said, if you have the option to return, depending on your expectations, ....... my experience is that the overall quality of SLs is not what it has been and my activs have had the mid sole crack on the right one prematurely with very little and light use. I can see just comparing side by side the activ against the previous SLs they are not as sturdy and, though more comfortable, I do question whether they are now value for money.

How are Sportiva's hiking/mountain boots? They are my rock shoe of choice for fit (skwama's are my best fitting shoe ever).

rinnes 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Snow and Rock are selling Superfeet Tongue depressors for £1.50, postage included at the moment. Normal price £5.00 so maybe a bargain if they do the job.

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/anatom-superfeet-tongue-depressors-B9224027.h...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...