Climbing........on people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bitsofdeadtree 21 Mar 2018

I'm not sure how many people on here have heard of human towers (castels) over in Catalonia, if you haven't, then you should go and look it up, it's surprisingly entertaining to watch.

It is a very regional tradition that has been going on for many decades, with a rich heritage. However, there are also several groups dotted around the world, and this is where I get to the point. We have our very own group (or col) based in London.  

We meet every Sunday and Wednesday to practice, and as it happens will be holding an event in the Castle climbing wall this coming Sunday.  I'd urge anyone who will be climbing there to come and say hello and try out, as we are also holding a workshop for beginners. 

It's an activity that relies on numbers so don't be shy!

Out of curiosity, how many people here have heard about human towers? 

(We are not a commercial entity, and is a small community run thing, not for financial gain.  happy to pay for a premium post if required)

Post edited at 19:28
 Trangia 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Bitsofdeadtree:

> Out of curiosity, how many people here have heard about human towers? 

I have.

Thought it looked terrifying!!

krikoman 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> I have.

> Thought it looked terrifying!!

Me too, especially for the kids who go on the top, and their parents I'd imagine too.

@ Bitof..   well done though, and good luck

Stichtplate 21 Mar 2018

Seen the human towers, they look great fun. I've long admired the Spanish disregard for health and safety. This January festival in Pollenca, Majorca looks particularly fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkuGMDvdy8&t=31s

Unfortunately, non-local participation is rather actively discouraged.

Edit: Couldn't find a vid of them topping out to release the bags of sweets (70-80ft high?) also heavily features bits of dead tree.

Post edited at 20:00
 Timmd 21 Mar 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Me too, especially for the kids who go on the top, and their parents I'd imagine too.

It must be scary for their parents, but I guess children are easier to catch, or slow the falls of, too. Easy to say as an uncle rather than a parent.   

In reply to Timmd:

The kids are actually now required to wear a helmet, but even with this, it is amazing how few injuries there are.

It's not that scary. If you are happy to take a whipper on a bit of shiny aluminium jammed into a rock then this shouldn't bother you to much  

Like I said, I'd urge anyone who fancied having a go to come along. If nothing else it's interesting to watch. 

In reply to krikoman:

http://castellersoflondon.org.uk

For anyone interested.

Timmd 21 Mar 2018

> The kids are actually now required to wear a helmet, but even with this, it is amazing how few injuries there are.

> Like I said, I'd urge anyone who fancied having a go to come along. If nothing else it's interesting to watch. 

It does seem like it'd be 'mostly safe' in a weird sort of way . Going to see one is on my list of things to do. 

RX-78 21 Mar 2018

Prof Brian Cox 's forces of nature or whatever it was called had an episode on gravity, seemed to spend most of it on the human towers. Still on iPlayer.

Billhook 22 Mar 2018

Footballers attempt this every time they score a goal but they appear to collapse rather too soon.

In reply to RX-78:

I can't find this? What's the program called?

RX-78 23 Mar 2018

I will have a look

Ah, it's an old series from 2016. Forces of Nature, episode 1.. He does the power of gravity. Seems some bits might be on youtube. Not on iPlayer at the moment.

Post edited at 22:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...