Lost axes and crampons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Graham 20 Mar 2018

Why so many lost axes and crampons this year?

Are all these new fangled rucksacks with redesigned axe/ crampon attachment features not working so well?

Amongst my climbing partners, it was always standard practice to use any means to provide a bit of redundancy to the rucksack attachment method.  Tieing crampon straps thro axe loops, threading the lid strap thro crampons, a krab and sling, loads of easy and quick ways to avoid an expensive loss.

Pete Houghton 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

I'm fairly certain that lost ice axes are not a modern phenomenon, but perhaps you should consider that there could be more lost axes because, in this day and age, there are more actual climbers to lose them.

d_b 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

I found that old school axe loops are terrible for holding onto the modern tiny hammers.  I think the new fangled holders that thread through the eye in the head are becoming essential & am thinking of trying to retrofit something onto my climbing bag.

So far I have just about managed to not lose an axe though.

1philjones1 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Or just more social media to report it on

French Erick 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

in my case it is because I am a tool who has grown complacent and did NOT use a bit of redundancy. I am decidedly a fitting receptacle to other people's contempt- added to the fact that I am well pissed off at myself!

Post edited at 18:31
 Doghouse 20 Mar 2018
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I found that old school axe loops are terrible for holding onto the modern tiny hammers.  I think the new fangled holders that thread through the eye in the head are becoming essential & am thinking of trying to retrofit something onto my climbing bag.

> So far I have just about managed to not lose an axe though.

Pull the axe loop through the hole in the head of the axe and clip a krab through the axe loop. Works a treat 

d_b 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Doghouse:

I will.  Thanks!

DaveHK 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Incompetence most likely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...