Forcan Ridge Abseil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nemo9 18 Mar 2018

Anyone know how long the abseil is ? Will I get away with a 30m rope ?

In reply to Nemo9:

It was a simple down climb 2 weeks ago. Doubt it will have changed much.

redsonja 18 Mar 2018
In reply to Nemo9: that

we abseiled with a 50m rope. I seem to remember thinking that 30m would have been a bit short, but it was a long time ago, so maybe im remembering wrong. sorry to not be more help

broc 18 Mar 2018
In reply to redsonja:

A 30m rope will be too short for the ab. When we did it the ridge was covered in deep powder and I certainly wouldn't have fancied the down climb without some prior knowledge in those conditions. 

Andy Nisbet 18 Mar 2018
In reply to Nemo9:

From what I remember, a 40m rope is enough but 30m just too short. So an 18 or 19m abseil.

Post edited at 20:07
OP Nemo9 18 Mar 2018
In reply to Nemo9:

Thanks for your replys, very helpful.

Jim Fraser 20 Mar 2018
 Ian RG 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Nemo9:

As Jim Fraser wrote, you don't need to abseil unless you particularly want to. The gully on left, just before the drop, should give easy descent and then move round to regain ridge.

cousin nick 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Nemo9:

Several years since I did it (in 2004 I think). On that occasion I was with my wife who down climbed it roped. I then down climbed unroped. I have a 25m rope (old 9mm cut in half) that we carry for such occasions. Its a system we've used often and seems to work for us.

N

Andy Nisbet 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Ian RG:

With clients, as I've often done it, an abseil is fun.

thlcr1 25 Mar 2018
In reply to Nemo9:

Did it a couple of weeks back.  We used a 50m rope,  almost certain a 30 wouldn't be long enough.  The snow was a bit shit when we did it and the bypass really wasn't an option. One of our party was a bit ahead and down climbed it,  the rest of us looked at it and said no way and got the rope out. Abbing down I looked at it and was glad of our choice. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...