lost kit walking out of beinn bhan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 18 Mar 2018

Hi folks,

I lost a brand new pair (first outing) of G14s yesterday walking out of a climb in coire na poite. We descended via the ridge until mostly in direct line with the bridge and 90degree bend in the road whence we picked our way down. Unlikely you will take the same path but one never knows.

I'll try to go back next week.

This was my route since injury (it was a great day) but it marred the day! And probably put paid to the rest of the season. Hardly ever lost any kit in the last 12 years and the lose 2 pairs of crampons within the same season...bollocks.

DaveHK 18 Mar 2018
In reply to French Erick:

That's pish, at least the other ones were ancient. You can take those old ones of mine back.

Couldn't believe it was you when I clicked on it, that's terrible luck!

Been a lot of folks climbing here this season, hopefully that trend will produce the finding of your new Poon's? 

Stuart

OP French Erick 18 Mar 2018

the good news is: I can do a big day climbing- the knee can take it, just. I wouldn't be able to go again today though. As expected, the downhill is the most troublesome...not painful but far less stable hence the straps breaking? From now on, new bag with a lid and a rope strap inside: crampons inside!

I'll spend next Saturday scouring the slope, I  might strike lucky.

Sophie G. 18 Mar 2018

Erick, I have some spare crampons you could have if you like (for free, or whatever you feel like paying). They're old and blunt which is why they're spares, but they work all right. They aren't G14s but they have front points and you can ice-climb in them. PM me if you're interested. Right now they're only sitting in my gear-shed, because I have a sharp pair for ice and a relatively blunt pair for mixed, so there's little chance I'd use this third pair again unless I dropped some crampons myself.

Oh, and by the way, are you using a wobble-board? Steve Perry and Philip Ebert are both aiding their recoveries with one, and they provoked me into buying one online for £20 to help my own gammy knee. It really helps. Wobble-boards rock. (As it were.)

Post edited at 14:45
In reply to Sophie G.:

thanks for advice. I'll first try to do a recovery exercise next Saturday.

To others going in the area:

As far as I can see I started descending at 818432 and more or less zig zaged very straight down to the start of the burn 826428 and followed that on the yellow grass crossing whenever it made life easier (to save the knee). it forms a  defined "wee valley" where it flattens and from the mouth of it started cutting right towards the bridge landing above the cliffy/quarry bit just above the road. From hence walked north to an obvious right slanting ramp which landed me at the bend.

rogerwebb 18 Mar 2018

Unlucky Erick  

Great to hear that your knee works though.  Good  route and day too.

If you are desperate I have a selection of 'tired' crampons you can try. 

In reply to French Erick:cutting left back towards the bridge...my mistake.

Cheers Roger.

OP French Erick 05 Apr 2018

Found them today after spending about 3.5 hours ziz-zagging up the big open slope. Found them at  818432! I am well pleased- well worth the effort.

bonebag 05 Apr 2018

Good effort Erick. Bet your are well chuffed. I would be : )

OP French Erick 06 Apr 2018
In reply to bonebag:

Very chuffed indeed...and rereading my initial post (which I hadn't previous to going there) rather impressed I found them exactly where i thought I had started to descend!

wercat 07 Apr 2018

I once found a £5 note nestling under a rock on a mountainside away from a path.  A few days earlier (it was winter) I'd come down roughly the same way and noticed it gone from a pocket later in the day.   Subconscious must have taken me back to the same spot!

In reply to wercat:

Ahhhh, a true Scot!

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...