Commuting route, far west London to central

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Can anyone recommend a good commuting route into central London, Trafalgar area from far west London? Looking to do one way commutes in and out on successive days from Maidenhead. once a week and more if it goes well. Fair weather cycling. 

Looking for the usual trade off between as little start-stop as possible and safety (stop laughing at the back!)

I know someone who mentioned a route south of the M4 that goes into central via Chiswick on the A30

Google maps shows an option north of the M4 that goes into Southall then shoots off north east towards Northolt before turning southeast back towards Hyde Park but that route follows an unpaved river path for a long way.

Any suggestions?

ClimberEd 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Professor Bunsen:

It's tricky as you have a bit of a 'belt' of rubbish area (for cycling) whichever way you go and there is no good direct route.

If you have a hybrid/gravel/cross bike you could also look at options following a canal.

The 'nicer' route is to go Dorney/Eton/Windsor/Staines/Twickenham/Richmond/Putney etc.

Much nicer still is the same but Staines/Shepperton/Hampton/Richmond etc. (about 40 miles)

Both of these are a lot further than 'as the crow flies' ! It's not really feasible as a regular everyday commute, but you could mix it up with the train sometimes.

Post edited at 23:10
In reply to ClimberEd:

Thanks, yes, it does seem to be a struggle to find anything resembling a direct route. If I can do it in two hours that would be ok as the plan is to ride in train home.  Next day, train in ride home so twice a week, maybe more in the better weather.

There's a route that looks promising, on the map at least, that goes up through Shepherds Bush, through Acton and on to Ealing then Southall. Seems to have a cycle lane on much of the road when doing the street view on google maps.

routrax 17 Mar 2018

That's a long way!

I go from Uxbridge and use the Uxbridge Rd to Hanwell and then A4 to Chiswick.

I used to work in London Bridge and would cross at Hammersmith bridge as North of the river to central seems like the Tour de France peleton, which was fun on occasion, but i found south London is way more chilled out and less stress.

Google maps seems to favour the canal, I'd avoid it (I've been living on a boat on the canal for 9 yrs) as the towpath is narrow at many points, is gravel in many places, often has has pedestrians and it's quite unpleasant for them and you if you are trying to keep a pace. Not fair on either party really, which is why I stopped using the towpaths.

I'd personally get to Richmond, on the south and cross Kew bridge, (or get to the A4 before) go down Chiswick high rd to Hammersmith and go south again through Parsons green (past the Climbing Hangar, bouldering opportunity!) and stay south as far as you can until you have to cross the Thames again to central London.

It seems really long winded, but I did it 4/5 days a week for 2 yrs (46 miles a day) at around 90 mins each way.

ClimberEd 17 Mar 2018

> There's a route that looks promising, on the map at least, that goes up through Shepherds Bush, through Acton and on to Ealing then Southall. Seems to have a cycle lane on much of the road when doing the street view on google maps.

By all means try it, but I think you'll find the roads are just terrible - very heavy traffic and lots of traffic lights. Sorry to be a naysayer. I grew up around these parts (a bit further west) and have often looked to cycle in/out of London and never found a good solution. 

Stone Idle 17 Mar 2018

Not that much help but I do West Ealing to Westway via parks, legal pavement, a bit of road and the canal to Paddington. Ask a map programme like Googlefor a route. Or Sustrans.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...