Henry Barber Sea Cliff Film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james mann 16 Mar 2018

I am wondering if anyone happens to have a copy of the American Sportsman episode Sea Cliff Climbing. It shows Henry Barber climbing with various well known British climbers from the 70s including Livesey and Al Harris. I am especially interested in the Cornish part which I do have a fairly poor resolution version of. John Cleare was chief cameraman and Harris incredibly, the safety officer! Before anyone suggests John Cleare, he doesn’t have a copy and has never seen it in its’ entirety.

This is for a project that I am beginning work on. I would also be interested in any historicallly significant Great Zawn photographs that anyone might happen to have. Either pm me or post here if you can help. I will explain all to contributors. 

James

Post edited at 19:39
 Bob Kemp 16 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

Cant help you, but isn’t this the episode Livesey wrote about in Extreme Rock? Took the p!ss out of Barber to an extreme degree IIRC. 

OP james mann 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

That’s right, although Livesey certainly made more of it than it was. By all accounts it was competitive but fairly friendly. Henry did his share of piss taking too.

James 

In reply to ericinbristol:

I am after a complete high quality version. I already have a low quality version of about half the film which like this is recorded from a tv screen.  Thanks anyway. 

James

ericinbristol 16 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

Ah, okay, sorry that didn't help you 

Tom Last 16 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

Have you asked Mark and Rowland Edwards, James? 

Post edited at 21:00
In reply to Tom Last:

Not a bad idea. The difficulty is that it was made for abc tv in the US. If it was shown in the U.K. then it would have been on cine film or just shown on tv. I’ll try Rowland. 

Cheers Tom

james

Kafoozalem 17 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

Hi James - worth posting on Supertopo I should think.

Greenbanks 17 Mar 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

That was my thinking. As its US in origin, maybe more likelihood of a source across the pond. There's always the original source (who presumably have archives) - though that'll no doubt be a long & convoluted process.

Tony & Sarah 17 Mar 2018
In reply to james mann:

Hi James, don't know Henry but we do know Rick Hatch, will try to contact him on Monday he lives in Arizona & we Haven't got his e-mail address.

Henry is a hero of ours especially due to his onsight solo of Westkante, on Meuerturm.

Tony & Sarah 

Tony & Sarah 17 Mar 2018
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

West Wand on Meurerturm  sorry

Sarah

Post edited at 12:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...