Is there climbing in Ireland? If so, where?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JRZ 16 Mar 2018

Or is it just a country with lovely mountains, but not climbable?

inquiring minds need to know...!!! 

edit: I just Googled this: http://www.climb-europe.com/RockClimbingIreland.html

any other sites you recommend?  I'm thinking of doing a Scotland/Ireland trip in late April/early May.

Post edited at 01:06
Clauso 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

Glendalough, Burren, Mournes, Fairhead... Just for starters.

Google better:

http://climbing.ie/

Andy Moles 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

Not everyone thinks Fair Head is the best crag in Britain and Ireland, but then not everyone thinks the world is a globe. Go there.

Ailladie in the Burren is the second best crag in Ireland, and there is plenty of other lovely stuff in the Mournes, Donegal, Kerry and Wicklow.

Post edited at 06:00
 MNA123 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

I lived in Dublin back in 2008 and while there I managed to climb at Fairhead, The Burren, The Mournes, Glendalough and Dalkey Quarry. All were great in their own special way and a climbing trip to Ireland is definately worth it. I also climbed in a sport quarry that I can't remember the name of, however it made Horseshoe look like Siurana....

greg_may_ 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

Gola Island.

Thank me later. 

mark hounslea 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

I have had a week climbing in Ireland for the last couple of years and would highly recommend it. The crags are very quiet and it likely that you will be the only climber on all the classics.

Others have mentioned the main areas but you need to add the Gap of Dunloe to any potential visit; fantastic quality trad sandstone climbing with bolt ab stations.

Sam B 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

If you're looking for the road less travelled,  An Bhinn Bhul (Benwee Head) has some potential.  Otherwise Fairhead is a good bet.

Greenbanks 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

Plenty - a lot of it under bridges

d_b 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

I have a mourne mountains guide that has been sitting unused on my shelf for several years, as the people I was planning to visit and climb with moved before I got around to it.

It looks quite good, but if I am going to travel I prefer to go away from maritime climates rather than further into them.

RX-78 16 Mar 2018
In reply to MNA123:

Ballykeeffe quarry in county Kilkenny?

Continue on south to the comeragh mountains and there is climbing around coumshingaun lough. A very nice place for a hike and swim but beware the creature in the lake.

Post edited at 15:26
 auld al 17 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

There is also a lot of climbing in Donegal 

http://colmcille-climbers.com

Some photos in my gallery too. 

May is a good time of year to visit Scotland and Ireland as it's got a good chance of fine weather, long days and it's before the midges come out in numbers. 

pasbury 17 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

Dave Flanagan’s select guide should sort you out. I have to admit I’ve only climbed at Ailaddie, but I regret not having gone to the granite areas. There’s Something especially photogenic about a lot of Irish crags. And if you want your mind blown just look at the cliffs of Aranmore.

But.... there’s the weather.

Post edited at 20:32
 MNA123 17 Mar 2018
In reply to RX-78:

> Ballykeeffe quarry in county Kilkenny?

> Continue on south to the comeragh mountains and there is climbing around coumshingaun lough. A very nice place for a hike and swim but beware the creature in the lake.

That's the one! Nearly got my first 6C onsight there, until a hold decided to part company with the rock.....

Jonny Allen 20 Mar 2018
In reply to stephenmcmullan:

jrenee: Nope, nothing to see/climb here, keep moving along there now, thank you. 

(Stephen: for goodness sake man! what are you thinking!? shush!) 

Post edited at 16:05
 Jonny Allen 20 Mar 2018
In reply to stephenmcmullan:

p.s. long time no see my friend. Craic?

In reply to Jonny Allen:

Hiya Jonny, still alive. Took a detour via deep shipwreck scuba diving and now mountain biking. Still going to climbing walls and even went to El Chorro last month with some old farts. Enjoyed it and might even do some more climbing on warm dry days How are you keeping? Where you at these days? Belfast?

Post edited at 17:30
 Big Ger 21 Mar 2018
In reply to JRZ:

Craggy Island lives up  to it's name, Rugged Island has a few good spots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...