Destination for early Sept, wife-friendly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 13 Mar 2018

OK, after various rather heated planning sessions, I need the collective support of UKCers. I spend a lot of time away, both in the UK and further afield as an expedition leader and guide, but I am bu**ered if I can solve this one - 

We want to spend some time together walking, and are looking for something that meets the following criteria, for a week to ten days in early September -

• Warm (ish....we do live in Scotland so are used to cool, but Mrs.W would like some sun)
  • Not too technical or exposed walking - The GR20 South section was discarded due to scrambling
  • Feasible to get there for a week, by any means necessary really
  • Any type of accom is acceptable, as long as the 'adventure' warrants cost vs enjoyment
  • Not the TdMB area, as so regularly visited.

You see my dilemma. 

Any ideas welcome 

john arran 13 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Anywhere else in Europe as long as there are hills nearby, sounds like it could work.

Certainly here in Ariège could be perfect, but I'm sure loads of other places could be too.

Dark-Cloud 13 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Valais ? A location of your choosing. Get there via train from Geneva

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/walking-in-the-valais

JPE 13 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Tenerife?

In reply to JohnnyW:

Corsica, perhaps?

T.

Mark Bull 13 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Another vote for the Pyrenees. 

Dave the Rave 13 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Just get a new one?

Ramblin dave 14 Mar 2018
In reply to Mark Bull:

> Another vote for the Pyrenees.

Yeah, we've had a few trips to the areas to the South of Pau and Lourdes on the French side and it's all been very nice. Beautiful scenery, friendly huts, nice food, all grades of walking. Seems like it could tick all the boxes.

1philjones1 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Sierra Nevada- fly in to Granada. Have a look at the Spanish Highs website. They are brilliant for sorting logistics. Poquiera(?) refuge is great. 

Or maybe the Toubkal area of the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. Easy flight and transfer into the mountains and decent huts. Toubkal is only a walk although I’ve only done it in winter. Would expect it to be hot in Sept.

Post edited at 07:37
OP JohnnyW 14 Mar 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Thanks folks - I have been to a couple of the areas mentioned, and they could well be winners.  I was in Tenerife only a couple of weeks ago, and having been a few times on boozy trips, I still haven't done Teide.

The only thing I will discount completely is Dave's idea - After 30 years, I couldn't face the hassle of going through it all again!

Keep 'em coming.............

BusyLizzie 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

I have the same issue. Just been to the Costa Blanca for a week's climbing for the first time, and was struck by how very husband-friendly the walking would be if only the dear man was willing to go abroad. There are umpteen walking routes in lovely hills without scrambling, all clearly marked with spots of paint - I think there are various walking guide books. We did a marvellous climb on the Sierra de la Forada, and found walkers on the summit, so you could even do co-ordinated walking+climbing days. Or both walk, and watch the ittle lizards on the rocks... 

Elsier 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

The Sierra de Gredos near Madrid would probably be quite nice for a walking holiday at that time of year.

Lucy Wallace 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Easy peasy. Mallorca. Lovely walking in the Sierra tramuntana. Cheap self  catering in Porto Pollensa or luxury in Soller. Car hire is cheap too. 

Lucy Wallace 14 Mar 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Sounds like the perfect husband friendly destination! 

Sealwife 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:  Madeira?  Plenty of walks along the Levadas.  Or, as others have recommended the Pyrenees, although you'd be more likely to be rained on there.

Pids 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Morocco

Flights into Marrakesh, spend a night there then go walking for a week then head down to Essaouira for last couple of days before flight home.

Direct flight from Manchester with easyjet.

nniff 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

How about walking one of the pilgrim routes to Santiago di Compostella, or part of one.  Miles of them 

http://santiago-compostela.net/routes/

OP JohnnyW 14 Mar 2018
In reply to nniff:

Hi Nniff.  Thanks, but that one is on the list for when we call it a day at work, so on the back burner

Max factor 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Not too technical or exposed walking - The GR20 South section was discarded due to scrambling

Is the southern section scrambly? It thought that the most exposed sections were in the Northern half, e.g. cirque de solitude.

Removed User 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Slovenia surely? Julian Alps somewhere or head South if you want it warmer.

Toerag 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

You could do a lot worse than the Dolomites, German alps or Austria - plenty of sensible walking between 1500 & 2500m. High enough for good views, choice of huts or valley accomodation. a mate of mine based himself and his wife (both in 50's, her not a climber) in Selva for a week last summer and had a great time doing day walks (Langkofel etc.). You could get sun or you could get rain, it is the alps after all. You could always move south if the weather's naff to the mountains around Arco which would be warmer and drier.

In reply to JohnnyW:

Another vote for Morocco, but for something a little less strenuous than Toubkal / High Atlas, Tafraout and the Anti-Atlas are worth a thought. There's a Cicerone guidebook in production at the moment, though I don't know when it's due out. 

Plenty of single- and multi-day walks, lovely scenery, and great culture. Great terrain for hillwalking, but still quite adventurous as it's frequently pathless. September will be on the warm side, but lovely to sit by the pool after a day's walking!

OnceAYearRob 14 Mar 2018
In reply to Šljiva:

that looks amazing. I've never had a bucket list, but i now am mentally starting to build one and that is now just underneath Borneo and Uganda on my list of places i want to go.

Hannahmach 14 Mar 2018

The Ordessa National Park, Spanish Pyrenees. Stunning.

rif 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Mercantour National Park? Easily reached from Nice, good chance of sunny, great scenery.

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/walks-and-treks-in-the-maritime-alps

Gav Parker 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Picos de Europa? Stunning with lots of walking and lovely mountain villages.

mbh 14 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Part of the Cathar trail in the Ariege, starting from Foix. Lovely scenery, no scrambling (that I can remember) and scenic castles and villages along the way, including Roquefixade, Montsegur and with Montaillou not far off.

Fly to Toulouse, train to Foix. Three days on the Cathar trail from Foix to Comus, then one day over to Ax les Thermes via Montaillou.  Then either do two or three more lovely days on the GR10/Carlit Way from  Meren-les-Vals to Enveitg , then train back to Toulouse, or relax with your feet in the thermal baths at Ax. Or similar.

Removed User 14 Mar 2018
In reply to Gav Parker:

> Picos de Europa? Stunning with lots of walking and lovely mountain villages.

Seconded. Went there last September. Stayed near Pores, absolutely lovely. Great walks in the foothills and the odd 2000m hill day.

Jenny C 15 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Dolomites.  Its lowseason so cheaper and quieter, just be aware lifts start to close down around the middle of September. Weather in September can be stunning, or cold and turning wintery on high ground. 

didntcomelast 15 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

It may be a little too warm in September, but the GR221 in Majorca May fit the bill.  Accomodation can range from wild camp through mountain refuge to monks cell and b&b. The trail follows a beautiful part of the island away from the ‘tourist hotspots’. 

Stone Idle 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Check out Kalymnos. Swimming, walking, lots of interesting spots and climbers. A bit warm early in Sept but the sea will be nice 

RuthW 16 Mar 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Albania is nice for walking. High peaks of the Balkans trail maybe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...